ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Members

I think there has been a certain underestimation of whether soap fans will buy anything or not. I wouldn't be surprised if sales of that tribute book Primedia did for ATWT + the success of the So Long Springfield stuff was what made them decide to try this.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually wouldnt have chosen a Nuke one or anything Katie.

I would have picked the Connor/Lucinda one

Lily and Holden get married with Heather Rattray in the role just because the remote was so nicely done.

Lily marries Diego...even though I loathed the story that lead up to it.

The episode where all of Oakdale found out that Paul and Emily were lovers.

Those are just a few to begin with...

• Members

I wonder how much it costs--I imagine,a nd get the feeling, getting the rights to 20 episodes is not all that expensive, especiallya s this company seems fairly small and start up. If that's true, and P&G doesn't get scared away (the way, say, Fox felt Shout Factory wasn't selling enough peyton Place DVDs, even though Shout said by their own standards it made a good profit, just not enough for Fox, and pulled the plug), I could see more. But I agree after a Best Of, they should start focusing on either stories (hard to do in 20 episodes without a lot of thought) or couples or maybe families. I won't pretend, even if I'd love it, releasing full episodes in boxes of 20 makes much sense.

• Members

I wouldn't have chosen a whole lot after 1996...

What I meant was that with fan voting I think that we would get into more of the auto-voting and spamming and heavy organized voting, and that leans more in favor of more recent couples.

• Members

I'm not sure the number of P&G shows factored into whether or not they were saved---it took years for primetime shows to all be filmed in hopes of selling them into syndication. In 1956, there were very few shows doing it---that's why there's only 39 episodes of The Honeymooners.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess I understand including "groundbreaking" Luke...but those anniversary shows just grate my last nerve. I think instead I would have devoted a disk to "first meetings" or something...tell me the first Lily/Holden or Craig/Sierra scenes aren't GOLD.

If there was a "supercouple" who was pretty much forgotten, it was Craig and Sierra. I think I definitely would have rather seen some Steve/Betsy/Craig triangle than some random '79 episode focused on some hoochie Bob was dating at the time.

What I'm scared of is that these older episodes aren't going to translate well. I tried watching some early '80's stuff on youtube, and some of it definitely seems hokey.

It'll also be interesting to see the running time decline. In the '80's it was 40 minutes. At the end, it was 37. I wonder how long that '79 episode runs.

• Members

I would have done a disc devoted to '50s and '60s episodes. This could have also gotten some attention because of the episode where Walter Cronkite broke in about JFK.

The 1981 episode is...certainly one of a kind, mostly notable because poor Annie is dressed like she's selling Mary Kay. And there are some good John scenes. If they have more I'm surprised they didn't choose another one from that time.

• Members

I already ordered one! Can't wait for it to arrive. I'm more excited to see the GL collection though because I've never seen much of that show in the classic era. Since ATWT was one of my favorites I know it's history well. Still very excited! I've actually never really seen anything from the 90s.

Archived