Classic P&G Soaps Being Showcased At MIPCOM For International Distribution

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1979?

1979??

Show the damn soaps here! Show them here!!! I would pay money to see 1979 ATWT. And six - that means Search, Texas, Edge, and AW. I would pay money to see '70s Search and any AW that I haven't seen (some of 1979, pre-1979, etc.)

• Members

Seriously, why distribute these abroad and not here in the US? I don't think there is a HUGE market for reruns of the the P&G shows in the US, but there IS money to be made off them still. Maybe not much money, but they don't have to do some huge advertising blitz. Add them to Netflix or make them otherwise available for internet streaming and there would be enough people interested to make them a couple hundred thousand per year. Not huge profits, but higher than the 0 dollars they're making off them right now.

• Members

There's quite a bit of 1984-on GL on Youtube, so they should have some. It seems odd to me. They have AW material from mid-1980, at the least, and apparently have ATWT going back to 1979, and had Search stuff from the early '80s.

• Members

Hrm there's a local station here that just lost its ties to CTV, a big Canadian network, and was saved by being bought by its own emplyees--and they're desperate to find relatively cheap programming, particularly for the daytime. I wonder if this would be viable... (Victoria is also a place made up of 70% older than 55 age group). But Canada probably doesn't count in their sales...

I would KILL to see ATWT and GL from 79--AW as well. But I'd be happy with ANYTHING from PGP from 79-80 etc.

• Members

To appeal to buyers they'd have to be offered at rock bottom prices.The deal would have to include an out clause,so they weren't saddled with years of unwanted programming.

As for foreign markets,sub titles would be another issue.

Really can't see this going anywhere.

• Members

A channel like TV Land should by the rights to broadcast the shows in the US. For years, TV Land has broadcast Bonanza and Gunsmoke in the afternoons. They have recently dropped Gunsmoke. Air the shows in almost the same timeslots that they originally aired:

12:30- Search for Tomorrow

1:00- As the World Turns

2:00- Another World

3:00- Guiding Light

4:00- Edge of Night

4:30- Texas- as half hour episodes

I'd be willing to bet these shows would get the numbers that Bonanza and Gunsmoke are pulling in now. I'd even go as far to say that these shows would steal viewers from the current offerings on ABC, CBS, & NBC daytime.

Archived