Classic P&G Soaps Being Showcased At MIPCOM For International Distribution

• Members

The article says:

"GUIDING LIGHT actually is the longest running show in television history but nothing was recorded prior to 1988," says Mark Yates, the company’s president."

Does that mean they are saying that there is nothing in the vaults for GL prior to 1988? I find that very difficult to believe.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ridiculous that they are selling this to a market that doesn't even know or have the emotional attachment to these shows that US and Canadians do (and possibly the Netherlands when it comes to ATWT).

I would love to watch anything involving Edge, Search or AW from back then. I would even check out Classic GL and ATWT out of curiousity.

• Members

I think what they mean is that the vault is not complete prior to 1988. That tapes exist, but there are gaps. I don't find this hard to believe at all as SoapNet stated when AW started that they began where they began (1987) because it was where they had all the episodes with no gaps.

• Members

Another World was the #1 soap in Canada, from I believe the 1970s until sometime between the late 1980s to mid 1990s when Y&R took over that title. CTV, which broadcasted Another World in Canada, even mentioned the cancellation on it's national news.

Guiding Light aired in Germany and Italy, although I don't know how big of a following it had in those countries.

Archived