Billboard's #1 Pop Singles

Max

• Members

I don't like Mack The Knife. Of all of his songs, it's my least favorite. Although lyrics never dictate whether I like a song, they can turn me off. and the graphic nature of the lyrics of this song do just that. For some reason, other songs of the time that dealt with murder .. "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia", "Delilah", and "Dark Lady" never bother me... because they aren't so graphic. In Mack the Knife, the "Scarelt billows start to spread", and "Lies a body just oozing life" lines really turns my stomach. It's also one of those old fashioned Sinatra type songs that I don't care for, either. I like Bobby Darin otherwise, though!! From what I understand, as a child, after his sickness caused heart damage, the doctors felt he'd be lucky to live to 20... but he beat the odds and lived much longer than expected. But for those who like it, here's the song sung live on the Flip wilson show in 1972:

Bobby Darin had his own television sepcial in 1970, "The Darin Invasion", and then his own TV series in 1973, which had to end due to his failing health. His bandleader, Bob Rozario went on to work for the Tony Orlando And Dawn show after Bobby's show ended. This is the final TV performance of his life, on April 27, 1973. the closing medley to the final episode of his TV series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSd4pWmnxw&feature=related

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mack The Knife for me is the best recording from the modern era. Well, there is one Frank Sinatra recording that is genius, but other than that Mack The Knife is where it is at. The vocals are perfect and the orchestration is tops. The way it builds and builds crescendo on top of crescendo is just so unique that it become exciting. And if you were to ever try it in Karaoke you would be swept up in it trying to pump yourself up as the song constantly ratchets itself up and up. Also, it is such a departure from the original song that that is worth seeking out too. Bobby Darin would have become a major talent for decades had he lived.

Here is an obscure duet showing his ability and the fact he wasn't blown out of the water I think says he had to have some serious talent.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rWsve-3MKRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

I never knew that Bobby Darin was expected to die before reaching the age of 20.

Qfan, I'm really curious which Sinatra song you are referring to. Is it "Strangers in the Night," "My Way," or something else?

The Fleetwoods had their second number one hit of 1959 with "Mr. Blue," a record which held the peak position for one week: the week ended 11/16/59.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xgNnEkzWwt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Though "Mr. Blue" was not as big a hit as "Come Softly to Me," I much prefer the former to the latter. Writer Dewayne Blackwell originally penned "Mr. Blue" for the Platters. However, since he was unable to get in touch with them, he asked the Fleetwoods to perform it instead.

Aside from the trio's two chart-toppers, "Tragedy" (which peaked at #10 in 1961) was the Fleetwood's biggest hit. (The group's final appearance on the top 40 came in 1963.) The Fleetwoods might have had a more successful career were it not for the fact that Gary Troxel spent time serving in the Navy. The group first disbanded in 1966, but then reunited in 1971. However, Barbara Ellis decided to forgo performing by the end of the decade (and was replaced by Cheryl Huggins), and Gary left the group for good in 1983, leaving Gretchen Christopher as the sole original member of the Fleetwoods.

• Members

I like Mr. Blue far better. It's pretty sedate like "Come Softly To Me", but I just like the song better, for whatever reason. Here is them performing it live on the Midnight Special in 1974 (Is that Barbara on the right? Whichever it is on the right, she bears quite the resemblance to Suze Orman!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqsbDMRlpGU

• Members

The recording I think might be the best recording ever is Frank Sinatra's "Birth Of The Blues" It is just so perfectly organized with all the various instruments and horns and and has such a big finish. And I know it is fashionable for people to say "oh, Sinatra was not a good singer, he spoke and changed the tune" this song he shows why he was Sinatra. He is holding these notes but there is no lack of depth or power to his voice as the notes go on, and unlike so many he isn't screaming to hit the note. And then when you listen to other people sing his songs (like Robbie Williams) you really get an appreciation for the power of Sinatra's voice.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2KirUGHqV28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love "Mr Blue"

• Members

"Birth of the Blues" is a really good song (that I had never before heard of).

The Fleetwoods still sounded excellent in 1974. Carl, I also remember that car scene where "Mr. Blue" was playing in the background.

After "Mack the Knife" fell from number one for the second time, it was succeeded by "Heartaches by the Number" by Guy Mitchell, which spent two weeks at the top: the weeks ended 12/14/59 & 12/21/59.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TqLed-Fk2ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guy Mitchell's first #1 hit was 1956's "Singing the Blues." While "Heartaches by the Number" did not equal the popularity of "Singing the Blues" (which spent nine weeks at the peak position), both songs were pop covers of country hits: Marty Robbins had a #1 country hit with "Blues," and Ray Price took "Heartaches" to #2 on the country chart. (Both songs also sound similar, at least in the case of the Mitchell versions.) Surprisingly, Mitchell never had another top 40 hit after "Heartaches by the Number." However, he did have two top 40 songs in-between his two chart-toppers: "Knee Deep in the Blues" (#21) and "Rock-A-Billy" (#10). (Both songs were from 1957.)

Aside from his musical success, Mitchell had two short lived TV shows. The first of these was "The Guy Mitchell Show," which ran on ABC from October 1957 to January 1958. His second show--NBC's "Whispering Smith"--was a western that debuted in May 1961 and ended in September of that year. Guy played Detective George Romack, but "Whispering Smith's" biggest star was World War II hero Audie Murphy (who portrayed the title role of Tom "Whispering" Smith). Mitchell also appeared in films, most notably co-starring (alongside Rosemary Clooney) in 1954's "Red Garters."

In 1999, Guy Mitchell was 72 and had cancer. He died that year from surgical complications.

• Members

The final #1 song of the 50s--"Why" by Frankie Avalon--was the first chart-topper of the rock era to pose a question. "Why" spent one week at the peak position: the week ended 12/28/59.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TqjjUKu9t-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Why"--which, IMO, is a far inferior recording to "Venus"--was Frankie's seventh top 10 hit. Shockingly, Avalon would never again return to the top 20. (His last top 40 hit came in 1962.) However, "Why" made a comeback when Donny Osmond took it to #13 in 1972.

Despite his lack of musical success, Frankie's acting career was just starting. (Avalon conceded that the focus on acting may have hurt sales of subsequent records, since he had limited opportunities to tour and promote his songs.) Some of Avalon's first movies included "The Alamo" (1960), "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" (1961), and "Panic in Year Zero" (1962). However, his most famous films would be the "beach movies" that co-starred Annette Funicello. The first of these was 1963's "Beach Party," but "Bikini Beach" (1964) and "Beach Blanket Bingo" (1965) are famous as well. In 1987, Frankie and Annette reunited for "Back to the Beach."

Today, Avalon is 72 years old and lives in Southern California (as opposed to his native Philadelphia). He remains close friends with Bobby Rydell and Fabian (neither of whom ever had a #1 hit), and the three of them sometimes tour together as "The Golden Boys of 'Bandstand.'"

I'm pretty sure that everybody here already knows this, but for those who don't, it should be stated that the music of the early-60s was very similar to that of the late-50s. The main differences between the two periods were that the early-60s saw less doo-wop, an introduction to Motown, and a much more prominent role for women in pop music.

• Members

When it comes to "Why"... I like the song itself, but Frankie's performance was a bit lacking here. I think vocally he improved greatly by the time the beach party movies rolled around. Here he is singing it live in 1974... and I think he sounds better:

this was from the same episode the Fleetwoods appeared on.

• Members

Like Alphanguy said, Avalon's vocal abilities really did improve so much. In 1974, his voice sounded very deep and mature.

Carl, please don't ever hold back!

The first of nineteen #1 singles of 1960 was "El Paso" by Marty Robbins, which spent two weeks at the top: the weeks ended 1/4/60 & 1/11/60.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1o1oizc4_3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Marty Robbins was born and raised in Arizona (a state that shares a border with the town of El Paso) as Martin David Robinson. Marty taught himself to play guitar while in the Navy, and became a Grand Ole Opry mainstay back in the early-50s. Though his first country hit happened in 1952, Robbins had hoped to break into the pop market as well with a 1956 tune titled "Singing the Blues." However, as a result of heavy competition from Guy Mitchell, Robbins' version of the song did not make an appearance on the Best Sellers in Stores chart (though it did reach as high as #17 on one of the other pre-Hot 100 pop charts). The pop smash Marty hoped for soon came in the first half of 1957, when "A White Sport Coat (And a Pink Carnation)" peaked at #2; unfortunately for Robbins, some of his peers in the country world criticized him for "selling out," since "A White Sport Coat" is essentially a rock and roll song. (Nevertheless, it still reached #1 on the country chart.)

Robbins' signature song, "El Paso," spent a whopping seven weeks at number one on the country chart. Yet, the song was initially not released as a single, due to its very long duration (by music industry standards of the time) of over 4.5 minutes. (Prior to December 1998, songs that were not released as commercial singles were ineligible to chart.) It was only after requests for "El Paso"--another "story" song like "Tom Dooley" and "The Three Bells"--became so numerous that Columbia Records decided to cave into public demand.

While Robbins only had one other top 10 pop hit after "El Paso" (1961's "Don't Worry," which peaked at #3), he would score over a dozen country chart-toppers, including "El Paso City" (1976). Marty was also a NASCAR driver in addition to being a country superstar. Sadly, his time on earth was cut short. In 1982, at the age of 57, Robbins died of a second heart attack (thirteen years after suffering his first one).

• Members

I always Liked El Paso. A great story song that deserved all of it's success. Very vivid imagery told by the lyrics of this. And a nice, mellow vocal delivery. Hee he is singing it live on Pop Goes The Country in 1975:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4wAEyzWV04

For those too young or not familiar... Pop Goes the Country is a syndicated TV music show that ran from 1974 to 1980. It was produced in Nashville, and was hosted by longtime WSM DJ Ralph Emery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsR3wymAZe8

• Members

"El Paso" is a great song. (I really like "A White Sport Coat" as well.) Despite its length, the song keeps on flowing perfectly, so the listener never wants it to end.

I have never heard of "Pop Goes the Country" before. Thank you so much for telling us about it.

1960--like 1958--was a huge year for novelty songs. The first such record of the year to reach #1 was "Running Bear" by Johnny Preston, which held the top spot for three weeks: the weeks ended 1/18/60, 1/25/60, & 2/1/60.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E3meEmDpaDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Johnny Preston (born as John Preston Courville) was the protege of J.P. Richardson. (Richardson was better known as "The Big Bopper." He, of course, died in the infamous 2/3/59 plane crash that also killed Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.) Preston and his one-time band, the Shades, were performing at a club in Beaumont, TX when the young singer was discovered by Richardson and record producer Bill Hall. Though his first recording sessions as a solo artist were disastrous, Richardson was conviced that Preston would become better if given more time. After watching a commercial for Dove soap, Richardson wrote "Running Bear" and felt it would be the ideal vehicle to lauch Preston to stardom. The song was recorded back in 1958 (and featured the backup vocals of The Big Bopper and country singer George Jones), but was withheld for release until August 1959 due to Richardson's untimely death. The record fizzled during its first chart run, but re-entered the Hot 100 (successfully, this time) in November.

Partly due to his short life (he died at age 28), The Big Bopper only had one major hit, 1958's "Chantilly Lace," which reached #6. (Another single by Richardson barely made the top 40.) Sadly, Preston himself didn't do much better, with his only other top 40 hits being "Cradle of Love" and "Feel So Fine." (These 1960 tunes peaked at #7 and #14, respectively.) Johnny was 71 years old when he died of heart failure on March 4, 2011.

• Members

I'm never sure about Running Bear, whether I like it or not. I guess I'm indifferent about this one. Novelty songs aren't something I always like, but unfortuantely something that doesn't hardly exist anymore. Here he is in 2009 singing it live... he kept his voice pretty well over the years

• Members

Though "Running Bear" is just OK, it is the best novelty chart-topper of 1960. It is very sad that Preston died soon after that clip you posted (though I really enjoyed waching him get interviewed).

"Running Bear" was succeeded at #1 by "Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning. "Teen Angel" held the peak position for two weeks: the weeks ended 2/8/60 & 2/15/60.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AsEodyuEikw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

During the first decade of rock and roll, there was a subgenre of "teenage death" songs. "Teen Angel" was the most popular of these records, but several other such tunes made the top ten. They are listed below:

"Endless Sleep" by Jody Reynolds (#5, 1958)

"Tell Laura I Love Her" by Ray Peterson (#7, 1960)

"Ebony Eyes" by The Everly Brothers (#8, 1961)

"Patches" by Dickey Lee (#6, 1962)

"Last Kiss" by J. Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers (#2, 1964)

Despite the iconic song that "Teen Angel" became, it was the only top 40 hit for Mark Dinning. Mark was the youngest of nine siblings, three of whom--Jean, Virginia, and Lou--comprised the Dinning Sisters, a successful pop group of the late-40s. It was Jean who wrote "Teen Angel," though her then-husband (Red Surrey) was listed as co-writer due to an agreement that the two of them had in place. (This agreement stipulated that both people would be formally listed as co-writers for any song either of them wrote; John Lennon and Paul McCartney also made a similar agreement.)

Mark Dinning (whose actual first name was Max) was only 52 years old when he died of a heart attack in 1986.

Archived