Classic AMC/OLTL

• Members

Maria, Kendall, Anita, Erin, Di, Greenlee, Annie. Did I miss anybody?

Only at night and once a day. OLTL's episodes are at the same day AMC's are, it's 10/4/06 episode that last aired for both shows. I don't know where that registers in the Higley scale, lol.

I wanted to bitch slap Babe during those scenes. It brought fresh back to my mind why I disliked her so much.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Initially or that time around?

That time around: He realized she really did do the Spike thing because of circumstance and for Greenlee from January through April 2006. Then there was the coma due to drunk JR for May sweeps. He was choosing her life over Spike's and during that it dawned on him due to the face=t McTavish never really wanted to do Rylee, like most writers, lol, and the fact Greenlee was gone...

Bianca: Wouldn't you? Really, wouldn't you die for your son? I mean -- it's true, we don't know. But Zach says that Kendall fell in love with your son, and I believe him, and Babe testified to it. And if they're right, then this is what Kendall wants.

Ryan: "If," Bianca, "if."

Bianca: I don't want her to die. I don't want her to die, either, but if -- if you're not trying to do what she wants, then I don't understand what it is you are trying to do.

Ryan: I am trying to save Kendall because I -- because I love her.

Bianca: You love Kendall as a friend.

Ryan: I'm in love with her. I loved her so deeply back in the day. Maybe that just -- maybe that just never went away, or -- or maybe it came back. I have no idea. All I know is that right now in this moment, right now, I'm feeling everything that I have ever felt for her, everything. I felt -- from the first moment that I touched her, the first conversation that we had to the first argument -- everything. I'm too late, aren't I?

Ryan: Maybe if I just realized this before, maybe I -- I --

Bianca: Ryan, they -- they love each other, Kendall and Zach. They're married.

Ryan: I know. And Kendall always accuses me of never letting her be her, never accepting what she does or why she does it.

Bianca: Because you always knew better?

He declares his love to an unconscious Kendall in front of Zach. So he basically plays a good friend until Zach comes up with his fake affair with Dixie. I forget when he admits to her he loves her - before or after fake affair. Ryan suggests making it more real by having [Kendall] fake-turn to him, etc.

• Members

I could still buy he loved her due to how bitter and nasty he was. Sometimes you become a total ----- after a bad break-up because it makes it easier to move on.

What negated Ryan and Greenlee's former romances for me is the writers being forced to go out of their way to write them like the love of each other's life, like there was no real love for them before or after each other (no matter how much they sucked together) including even Gillian and Leo until the last month or two of broadcast AMC.

• Members

I honestly remember him being on maybe two, three times tops, and it was very much a case of "yes I still am with livia--oh hi people who I largely don't really know" and exit. I believe there may have been some story about him and Livia still living somewhere outside of town--another town or city, and Livia travelling in--or else Tom working somewhere else. The last time he really came on in a major capacity was for the two or three episodes in 2007 (I think--the Tanner Jordan/Hayley story) where he did major scenes counselling Hayley about her thinking she returned to drinking. At that time it was implied that he and Livia and Jamal (I assume Terrence was off doing his own thang) were living elsewhere.

If AMC had had another week or so of finale/reunion (yes, I'm greedy), I feel like the end party should have gone on a few days), I would have loved to have seen Livia and tom come back for the finale. As it stands, I do understand why they didn't, though I would have liked it anyway.

• Members

I don't remember Benny,w as he at Phoebe's funeral? is that when Nick last appeared? Was Kelly there too? I know when she came for Myrtle's funeral, that was under B/E's writing era. Of course, Agnes Nixon was still much more involved back then so that could have playe d apart for their reunion in those special episodes. Linc wasn't back for Myrtle's funeral.

I do agree that she tried to mine the past--both with bringing people like Livia back, and recasts of younger characters (even Amanda, etc). I also got the impression she wasn't to blame for issues like Livia coming back to contract and never gettign a story, and she would have given one if allowed--as well she always wrote for Brooke (even if not very well), so I think it's pretty obvious what happened there, what with Frons wanting her on recurring and Julia Barrr (quite rightly) just prefering not to stay on then.

Del was SUCH a waste--partly as the SoapStar winner actor wasn't very good, but they really didn't do ANYTHING with him.

Aiden worked best as a B character, a nice sort of "everyman" (with model looks of course). He really wasn't good enough to support heavy story IMHO, but soaps also do need characters like that.

Thanks--I believe that's pretty near the midway point ;) (Was GH even worse then? Nobody seems to be discussing it--not that it would mean much to me as a largely non viewer)

• Members

Benny played a somewhat major role at Phoebe's funeral. She entrusted him with the "Dear Aggie" letters she left for her loved ones. The people who all returned for the funeral were Benny, Linc, Kelly, and Chuck. The anniversary ep was a few months before then, and that's when we got Nick and Mark (and Tom was considered "semi-recurring" then, so he was there too; and of course that was Phoebe's last appearance). Only Kelly came back for Myrt's funeral.

Tom first came back, I want to say, in March 2004. Erica was already in Vegas by that point, and Jack contacted him to discuss her descent into alcoholism. I think the only other time he really had much to do was in the 4th of July episode, when everyone randomly decided to have a picnic. He and Livia got some nice romantic stuff then, too, IIRC. I wasn't watching for much of the Garret/Mimi/Derek stuff, but I think he got some airtime for that too.

• Members

Oh I do remember all that--and forgot about Phoebe's funeral, I should rewatch that as part of my post AMC classic episode viewings...

For some reason I missed chunks of the Garret/Mimi story, too--I think that was when I was back in Europe for a while.

People often talked about AMC and Pine Valley being unrecognizable in the last few years--I never really bought that (I think it still has more ties to the classic years than many other soaps), but it does say a lot that there were so many past characters they could have easily brought back and fairly seamlessly woven back into the fabric.

• Members

Watching the next episode (I feel a little ashamed even watching Soapnet now, but then, I sat through a few crap Chew episodes so I may as well keep going to hell), and...

- Did Jonathan/Amanda ever happen? If so how long were they together?

- I didn't realize that Erica and Jack were still together at this time. I guess it's not too long now. Barbara isn't completely gone yet, right? I like Sean. I don't understand why AMC got rid of Sean and Petey and yet had to bring in complete strangers like Asher or Damon.

- I guess this was the tail end of the more mature Erica of the early 00's, but it's still a little strange to see. I guess I can see why the show never wanted her to be too mature, but I can't count how many times she was regressed.

- So this was after that story with Lily and a sicko because she found out Jonathan was lying to her. When exactly did Jonathan let her know he wasn't actually...whatever he was pretending to be? Did she find out accidentally? This was just a rewrite, not something viewers knew all along, right? Was this as bad as it sounds?

- I had forgotten about the whole thing with Josh in the coffin, which is referenced here. Was that as bad onscreen as it sounds?

- You can kind of see McTavish's fondness for Rendall in this episode.

- I was a little annoyed that Jeff implied he and Tad were some type of peers in the Martin family. Didn't he initially act as a father figure to Tad (Jeff and Mary were going to adopt Tad until Mary was killed)? Did they not want to address this because they thought MEK and John James were too similar in age?

• Members

I almost forgot about them, but I seem to remember an instance of them hooking up at an office at ConFusion. Amanda did reference having great sex with him in the last episode, no?

I had almost forgotten how much women JR has almost killed and most of the time while trying to kill his wife, lol.

Archived