OLTL: Discussion for the week of September 12th

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing is when he does that--that lowering and raising of the voice it's just typical high school (bad high school) psuedo acting. That's what it reminds me of. Poor kid, they should have NEVER given him monologues (and never allowed him to shout them! I know other characters aren't usually meant to hear you talking to yourself on soaps--unless it's Echo--but you can try to be a bit quiet when blurting out lies.

• Members

Actually Téa felt very bad about manipulating Starr as that was the only time she ever intentionally hurt her.

A big part of the reason Téa championed Cole to TSJ's Todd all the time was because she said she owed Starr and would do anything to help make her happy. In point of fact, Starr forgave Téa herself and said she was glad her testimony did not send her father to jail as she would have felt guilt all her life.

• Members

Viki's contempt for Tina is deeply rooted. Tina is a total DITZ and Viki does not suffer STUPID women well. Then there is that Tina intentionally set out to TARGET and destroy Viki's life. Tina, much like Dorian, enjoyed Viki's pain far too much at times.

Todd, both of them, did horrible things that hurt Viki... but the intent was never ok I am going to destroy her life. Add that Todd suffered horrible child abuse too and Tina did not. I can see why Viki understands Todd better than Tina.

I side with Viki here as Tina is a female stereotype I abhor on soaps as she's a money hungry scammer. Todd has his fault but he's never been really driven to lie, cheat and scam for cash.

• Members

It's a very interesting role reversal. Todd begging Téa to care about him, care about his needs and she's telling hiim to LEAVE HER ALONE. Get thee out of my church... (out into the snow?)

Florencia rocked those scenes and I can't help but feel a twinge of nostalgia at the intensity RH/FL could still bring to the screen together.

• Members

TeamEric, I do kinda get that Vicki had that history with Tina. But STILL--I'll go back to the Todd offering up Vicki's daughter's heart. That wasn't done to defend his own daughter. (it was kinda half assed done to help Jessica who he prefered but that should appal a mother just as much). Tina on the other hand tried to rescue Natalie and Jared, and was told her own daughter would be killed if she said a word, but she was shown trying to get around it (well, in the awful way she was written...)

I watched nearly all of RH's run as Todd, and I never remember him coming off so mannered and odd when he tried to play sincere before--is it some weird acting choice? Cuz it's not doing him any favours, although I will admit it IS more how TSJ played Todd...

• Members

I find him very sincere these days, actually. He hasn't been this unerring and maturely voiced and able to be articulate since his first stint in the 90s, IMO.

As for Todd and Natalie, that was a harebrained scheme but he did tell Nat he had no intention of giving her to Mitch. He shouldn't have done it to begin with, but he had not seriously intended to hand her over. He wanted to go to the meet, save Blair and stiff him without giving up Natalie.

• Members

the thing here that was ignored was that Tina didnt set out to hurt Viki or Jessica. She was blackmailed.Tess threatened Sarah's life by vowing to sic Carlo Hessar on her. Carlo had JUST kidnapped Sarah and nearly killed her to get at Tina. I think its perfectly understandable why she was so distraught and did Tess's bidding bc she was acting asa mother to protect her own child. Viki had no compassion or understanding for that. Heck Tess had initially imprisoned her in that room and was threatening to let her rot. Tina wasnt a willing participant. She was getting her own verbal torment from Tess. I thought given the circumstances, Tina at least deserved to be heard out but Viki had no time for her and instantly banished her frmo her life and the town. She was completely unreasonable here

• Members

I was blown away by Lozano yesterday, and I thought to myself that this thread will probably be trashing her. Man, I give up. LOL! Those scenes in the church were beyond excellent.

I find the godawful Jack improving ever so slightly, but my god OLTL's casting department is the weak link of the entire show.

Cannot wait for Tina's return! I am hoping she will be in town for at least a month-

++And I may be in the minority, but I am going to miss Josh Kelly in a big way. I really have grown to like Aubrey/Cutter/Kim and RAMA. What an excellent group of younger characters, and I love the "have not" aspect. All are extremely charismatic but I have a feeling that very few of them will end up on PP. I even like Terry C, and I did not think I would. It has been nice having 4 strong younger characters, as OLTL has been so weak in this area. They can send Kristen Alderson, her brother, ect away for all I care.

• Members

They have rewritten the personalities and backstories of the group so many times it was tough to care - well, that and the early material for them basically only worked if viewers hated Clint and Joey. I also see little chemistry between most of them.

• Members

There is no question that Viki forgives Todd far too easily and always has. Kevin repeatedly threw in Viki's face she was far less judgemental over Todd's failings than his own. When Viki looks at Todd, (both of them) she sees herself, a horribly abused child, and she cuts him huge slack.. because as she told Jessica, she's done horrible things too... only under the cover of mental illness. Todd, under Malone and later the Labines, was written almost part of Viki's penance for killing father. When written right the two siblings understand each other in a way no one ever can.

But Viki has never shared that type of soul-ful connnection with Tina. In some ways, Tina is like Kevin who Viki judged harshly at times, too.

btw, Viki did cut off TSJ's Todd too. It was only when Téa confided that Todd tried to commit suicide that Viki softened and visited him. If Tina had tried to kill herself, I do expect Viki would have rushed to her side, too though.

This portrayal is not doing him any favors because RH's claim to fame, and true strength as an actor, is playing powerful, dark, tortured characters.

If you saw him in Lion in Winter, his King Phillip was a wicked, darkly sensual performance.. he rocked the scene emotionally torturing Richard. RH rocks when he plays up the darkness in a character's soul.

RH's last run as Todd was pretty bad EXCEPT for his chilling performances during the dead baby lie original scenes. RH channeled that old monstrous darkness in Todd's soul as he called that newborn a "thing" and ordered the Mexican maid to "get rid of IT" in that same cold voice he once ordered Powell to do IT, to rape Marty. It was chill inducing and his very best work as Todd since the 90s.

Over at ATWT, he and Hogan tried to install some darkness at first into Paul to tap RH's strengths, but the ATWT fans rebelled... so RH was stuck trying to a softer, lighter Paul and that was never a comfortable fit for RH.

Now RH is back and his Todd is stripped of rage and darkness... he's a mannered, rather calm and reasonable guy, a victim of a diabolical parent... far closer in reactions and actions to Paul Ryan than the dark Todd Manning.

I guess, RC and RH are going for Todd finally being TAMED by his 8 year imprisonment but it's not working. Either is the comparison to pre-Ireland Todd as THAT man nearly raped Blair in a dark thirst for revenge. The utter lack of darkness in this Todd is really not working for RH. So I too find him mannered and... odd. It's not a comfortable old pair of shoes RH is sliding into, he's trying to deliver material that is not best suited to his talents.

• Members

Some did trash her while others praised her. Florencia always inspires very strong reaction in viewers. Either you love her work or hate it. There's very little middle ground really.

Not a Cutter or Aubrey fan and I don't find them strong characters but I'd take them over Rex being the younger star character any day.

I think Kim with Clint works best as he inspires AS to play up Kim's layers. I do enjoy Rama and Vimal but only as supporting players.

Archived