GH: Classic Thread

• Members

I really enjoyed Jason Morgan during that first run, when I think of the character, I go back to those years before any other. Though when he came back (in 2002) to me things were just never the same, I remember being more invested in what Sonny had going on. Now I'm not really invested in either now so...

I always figured Jason would never get his memories back but I do remember reading recaps of events & older interviews that Steve just didn't want to play that. I figured when they had Jason immediately just start a whole new life, not even miss his old one. That just stood out to me, usually with amnesia stories the characters want to remember their old lives. Jason did none of that, in fact he actively rejected his old one and built new relationships. Like it was mentioned in the post above, I don't think Jason Q would have been somebody Guza & Co. would have wanted to write for. 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I also agree with the idea that Jason wouldn't have lasted so long. Im not against the Jason Q to Jason M transition but yes Sonny/Jason/Carly should not  have eaten the eaten show. 

I'm for an occasional Jason/Carly pairing. I wonder why Burton supposedly fought that.  I understand an actor not just wanting to be a slave to the writers and do whatever he's told but.... I don't like it when an actor's vision comes at the detriment of the show. Most of the time its best that actors and writers stay in their lanes.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

What I don’t understand is why the hell anyone thought Steve fuckin’ Burton was such a huge draw that they catered to his demands. 

I didn’t like it, but I could at least understand somewhat the way they catered to Tony Geary, but Steve Burton or Maurice Benard? Based on what exactly? 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

What's funny is Labine created these monsters.  I know she didn't create either but she gave Sonny/MB an actual likeable character and Jason/SB his accident.  Both actors/characters weren't much before her.  They could have easily gotten rid of SB (not Jason, but recast) and MB before that.  Neither were terribly popular.  By the 2000's the show was catering to the whims and needs of these actors (TG, SB, MB) and listening to their thoughts on stories to the detriment of the show nearly 100% of the time.  I can't think of a female actress that got the same treatment.  Maybe Vanessa?

I am not sure why an actor has that power.  TG, MB, SB have all left at different times and the show survived.  I think Sonny's absence in the current show would leave a much larger hole than Jason's.  I think the show may be in better shape now if they cut their losses with both of them 15 years ago.  But who knows?  It's not like any soap is in good shape these days.

• Members

I just remember watching Burton try so hard to play against feelings for Sarah’s Carly.  So much so that I actually laughed when he was so broken up after being shot and finding them together.  Why would he care?  Maybe about Sonny.  Their modern relationship was cemented when Tamara was playing her, but back then it was wild to see him playing against writing that was setting them up to be a couple.  I think I even remember him saying in an interview back then that Jason would never be in love with Carly.  Well Bob Guza clearly had other ideas lol.

He also noticeably came back to life when Liz rescued him and they started hanging out after Lucky “died”.

I think Vanessa was against where the story was going with Dante in her last return as I recall.  She also has been vocal about that kid being a mistake.  The only demands I remember from her was she wanted the same kind of schedule that Riche gave to Genie Francis when her kids were born- her scenes came first in the day and not to go over her guarantee so she could be with her young son as much as possible.  JFP does not respond to demands from women very well and that’s why her first return was not extended.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I have no idea why SBu was against Carson so much.  I know it is rumored he and Sarah Brown didn't get along and I remember he was very attached to KMc/Robin and that pairing, but by the time TB came around I am not sure the issue.  Robin was gone and Carly was a new actress (who I guess MB and SBu were mean to as breezily stated in MB's autobiography

Please register in order to view this content

).  I still thought TB and SBu had okay chemistry.  I can understand being against a pairing but the Jarly relationship was so important it really shouldn't have been dropped in a romantic sense, because in a way that's the whole backbone of the CaSason relationship and why he does everything she asks ever.

Vanessa for sure vetoed Dante and the baby and the baby in general.  I get her point 100%, but it definitely made the story even worse than it was to have the baby have no impact on anyone really.  At least make it Jax's kid.  As a Brenda fan I am happy she vetoed it, but as a fan of soap operas, making it Dante's was the way to go, especially since neither really did anything wrong since Dante/Brenda had no idea the other existed.

I believe Vanessa asked for more money on top of a lighter schedule in 2003 and was denied.  To be fair, VM/Brenda was on all but 2 shows in her 6 month stint and her child was not even a year old.   I am also assuming she had some interest from primetime because her GH stint ended up so high profile.  I wonder if her demands were too crazy or JFP just said no way to be a jerk because in the press at the time everyone thought she would extend her contract and then seemed shocked when she didn't.  Guza even had the story written lol.  Well, I guess it worked out well for KeMo.

• Members

It made no sense not to tie that kid to Jax. It’s a dead end.  But I guess when you have a pretty good idea Vanessa isn’t staying, then why do the kid at all?

I am sure she did ask for more money.  At that moment in time she was worth it, and they should have worked it out.  From what I recall, the sticking point was the schedule, not the money.  Like many times in the past, the fact that she wanted time more than money was a surprise to ABC.  I don’t know if it was Frons or JFP or both.  But I do know JFP isn’t real fond of maternity issues with women, or women that push back in general.

When Steve Burton and Bradford Anderson have a guest I am interested in I listen to their podcast.  He just mentioned in a recent one that he was a real dick to JFP when she first got there as he was leaving, and yet he was welcomed back and given all the airtime in the world.  If anything, there was a period of time the show felt like it was transitioning to Jason’s POV and Sonny was finally being held accountable for his decisions.  Things like this really piss me off, because I know how awful she was to several women who were less or equally

demanding and she just ignores or punishes them, and many of them were rightfully important talents on their shows.

• Members

It was obvious Guza's dream was to have his new favorite toy (Dante) be tied to his old favorite toy (Brenda) and there was no stopping it.  I wonder if Jax was ever considered or if Ingo was just always on his way out.  The most dramatic thing to do was to make it Jax's child because it directly effected Carly, Jax, and Sonny while Dante/Brenda would effect Lulu and Sonny for all of 5 minutes before they realized no one did anything wrong except keep a lame secret for too long.

I am sure JFP or Frons or whoever did not want to give into Vanessa's demands and assumed she would just re-sign.  Perhaps they did offer her all the money just not the time off.  Without trying to sound sexist or blaming her at all because I love her, I do wonder about the timing of her return.  Maybe it was an offer she couldn't refuse, but I wonder had she waited a year when her son was 1 or 2 would it have all worked out better?  I am sure GH would have waited for her.   Oh well, VM wouldn't have booked Vegas and I am sure she makes money still off that as they are doing an all episode marathon on the E! channel right now as we speak lol.

After reading MB's autobiography (don't judge me it was quarantine), him and Steve come off as bullies.  I don't think they are bad people, but some of their admitted remarks and 'jokes' to female co-stars are awful.  They made TB cry and Mb was like it was fine we apologized.....

You know, when SBu left the first time, I missed him for a minute, but I wouldn't have ever begged to have him back from the show's perspective.  The show had moved on fine from him after he left and he truly wasn't necessary.  Sonny and Carly had their thing going on, Robin was gone, the Q's had stuff to do without him.   

• Members

Can anyone tell me if that's Virginia Vestoff in the Sure ad with Peter White at about 18 minutes? 

There's also a Brynn Thayer ad.

Beyond the early glimpse of Tracy, my favorite part is the scene with Bobbie and Jessie. Rather than what we got later on with Carly, where Amy was just there to feud with her and spit bile, we have Jessie genuinely trying to help Bobbie, but being frustrated by just hos shallow and misguided she is. Great moment. 

It's also good to see more of Mary O'Brien's Heather - something so fascinating about this very, very on the edge woman hiding behind a placid demeanor. 

(I had forgotten Peter Taylor was still alive at this time)

Oof...that Jackie and Darlene promo at the very end felt like something from Kentucky Fried Movie.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Oh, this is just whetting my appetite that someday, the elusive Alan and Monica wedding will show up. Did we ever determine that it did 100 percent air? Heather being upset about Susan attending with Peter Taylor, and Tracy apparently making an impact on the guests, makes me think that yes, it was an on-screen event.

"It's not every day you meet a lady doctor ... on the day she's facing indictment for murder ... is it?"

(Truer words were never spoken.)

Funny to see that Sanka ad, since Robert Young figured in the MAD parody from 1982, "DeGenerate Hospital." Speaking of commercials, might we someday see an immunization ad with Baby Yoda?

Huh ... never knew he's Dr. Richard Webber.

This episode is a good example of why talk-to characters are needed. I really love Gail's interactions with Monica and Lesley. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, her and Tracy's loaded conversation at the end.

Interesting that there was no Genie in this episode. Still, Laura dominates the episode nearly as much as Lesley.

Alan's stare as Monica kisses Rick goodbye is EVERYTHING.

• Members

I find Monica so very much softer in the June '78 episode. It's interesting to see how quickly she hardened as she assimilated into the Qs. Despite being the schemer prior to this, she was still a nervous wreck as she dealt with an upper crust family like the Quartermaines. It was neat to see, especially to see an episode from what's probably Jane Elliot's first week on the show.

@Franko I can't imagine there'd be this much talk of the details of the event without it airing, tbh. I found the fact they didn't actually show the Grand Jury testimony interesting. Was this budget, or Monty's early attempts to speed things up before she chopped the hell out of scenes?

I desperately want to see more of this now. I hope this is a sign of things to come in 2021 (though I doubt it).