GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I had a thought to myself earlier that it would be somewhat ironic if a whole bunch of characters - mainly non-medical - were killed off in some kind of disaster, followed up by some sort of inquiry establishing that one of the reasons so many people died was because GH had chronic staff shortages.

• Members

Lol I can't even name 20 characters on current GH.  I can't think of a single, non legacy character that's been introduced in the last 10 years that's been any good.  Ava?  I honestly can't even think of a legacy character introduced that has been interesting.

I would easily argue GH needed a time jump or reboot before Days.  They both suck, but at least I know most of the characters on Days

Edited by carolineg

• Members

When I looked at the list of current characters, to decide whom I'd get rid of, there were many names I had never even heard of, which is not the case with any of the other three remaining soaps.  I vowed I'd get rid of at least 20-25 characters from GH, but that was not counting any of the people I did not know at all. Before I axed anyone, I'd at least want to see how they fit into the fabric of the show. With the way GH is being run, however, I have the feeling that I'd be dumping most of the unknowns along with the original 20-25 on my hit list.

I'd keep Laura, Scotty, Monica, Bobbie, Lucas, Felicia, Mac, Anna, Liz, Cameron, Kevin, Lucy, and probably Robert and Ned. I'd offer Jane Elliot and Denise Alexander the moon to appear in whatever capacity they wanted. Ditto Rachel Ames, but I know I am dreaming in Technicolor there, alas. Scummy, Snarly, Jascum, Scam and FrancNO would be the first to go.

• Members

I would keep all of the above and possibly Jax and maybe Carly?  Sonny can leave, but I actually maybe the only one who likes him still.   But I am very fond of the 1993-2000 era so perhaps I am blind..  Sonny could have an epic going out story by going to jail, dying, or giving up the business to be with Brenda and I think I would be good with that.  The ultimate ending to Sonny occurred in 1997 when he left Brenda to go on the run.  The business he loved so much cost him the love of his life.  End of Story.  The last 20 years of romanticizing the life of Sonny and his whores has been the ruination of GH.  And Jason as a hero/hitman hasn't helped, but I digress..

• Members

LOL! I'd support a major cast purging via Lassa Fever or Ryan ASAP!

AJ and Sarah Brown's Carly did have that bickering Alan and Monica chemistry, perhaps that could have played well for years. 

In regards to Sonny Corinthos. I grew up with Sonny on GH. I don't hate him or Jason, but I dislike how they warped the morality of the show and consumed the show. I think the characters could exist but not take over the show, and not be portrayed as 'nice' criminals. So many characters eager to make excuses for them (Emily, Robin, Elizabeth etc..). It's almost insane! Even worse is that Carly is complicit in destroying so many lives (AJ & TONY) both of whom never recovered. Now they've made Bobbie, who used to call Carly on her crap, a background party to it. At least Ava suffers! But Nelle Benson is Carly's just desserts!

I also think Sonny and Jason being so close to Robin and multiple other friends and family kind of weakened Mac as a police commissioner. I found him to be softer on Sonny and Jason in comparison to Scott Baldwin and Taggert who were no holds barred on organized crime. The same is happening with Laura as mayor. She's friends with Sonny and Jason despite the obvious. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I say hit 'em hard three ways: first, a hurricane (bigger than the one in the '70's, far more destructive); second, a serial killer (escapes during the hurricane, kills a bunch more people); and third, hazardous conditions post-hurricane cause another outbreak of Lassa Fever (and this time, it's resistant to Steve Hardy's vaccine, killing the last of the bunch before a new vaccine/antidote is found).

• Members

I mean obviously making Sonny/Jason/Carly the leads of the show was, and continues to be, a huge problem.  Sonny, Jason, and Carly are all fairly good characters on paper, but they are really meant to be supporting characters.  I could go on and on with how the show botched Sonny as a character in general.  He was a villain.  Yeah, he was a pretty decent guy sometimes and really loved Brenda, but he was still a criminal.  Giving him endless amounts of children and selling him and Carly as a great love story is just a weird choice.  How many women can say Sonny/Jason are good men who did some bad things and we as an audience are supposed to just buy this crap?  It's a description I'd buy in 1997, but not in 2019.

At the end of the day Carly, Jason, and Sonny are bad people.  Its fine if they have friends/lovers who see them as good people or at least having some redeeming qualities, but an entire town including the mayor and police commissioner should not be their cheerleaders.   Honestly, I am not sure where it went wrong, but I think pairing Sonny and Carly was a big part of it.  And I also think it's very strange the show never had Jason regain any of his Q memories.  That couldn't have been the original story plan.  And pairing JaSam forever and ever is just boring.  I know Sam has tons of fan, but she is just one of the worst characters ever to be a lead.  

• Members

That would be perfectly acceptable.

l second that  it would it be great to have Tracy and Lesley back. It'd be even better if they used some dumb science fiction plot to say Helena had Allan frozen somewhere all these years, and brought him back to life, making him and Monica endgame. (God forbid) when General Hospital ends it would be nice if Luke and Laura were endgame! 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

After hogging (and ruining) the show for so many years, I know I'd need to write an exit story for Sonny and Jason, but it would be swift and permanent. Soaps simply must stop portraying sick, evil, disgusting low-lives as "romantic" heroes. It's incredibly irresponsible to showcase murderers, pimps, rapists, etc., as the sort of men young girls fawn over. It's bad enough real-life vermin like Michael Vick are celebrated by some unfortunate sports fans. Putrid scum should be in jail. Or in hell, but I digress as well.

I had forgotten about Jax. I might keep him too, after checking to see how badly his character may have been tainted over the last several years. If Sarah Brown were to return, I MAY consider keeping Carly and trying to redeem her, but not with Laura Wright, whom I find alienating, cold and really unlikable. Wright's version of the character is not worth keeping, IMHO.

The last full episode I watched (it must have been the anniversary show supposedly about Gail's death, but which basically ignored poor Dr. Baldwin) had Laura (!!!) singing Sonny's praises. I retched. Laura should be the heart of GH, not an apologist for walking filth. UGH.

The ONLY way I'd keep Jason around for even a little while is if he were to regain his Q memories, and then have to experience abject agony and quilt for all his crimes. Then I'd send him off to jail. 

Does  Sam really have a lot of fans, or just a few crazed stans with big mouths and a relentless presence on social media?