B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

Not in the late 80s/early 90s but look back to the late 1990s/early 2000s and the complaints about the never-ending T/B/R triangle were similar to now.

Not that I don't understand and agree with the complaint - I also find the writing for the current triangle less compelling (I think Hope in particular is underwritten as an individual and both Steffy and Hope have not been given enough "alternative" pairings to distract us in between revivals of the triangle) - but I just do remember that this is a recurring problem for the show.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

^^

True, it did grow worse over time. Personally I felt though that when it tipped over into unbearable and finally made me quit watching, was when the triangle was Ridge/Brooke/Nick. And then Taylor came back from the dead and for a while we had a quad of Ridge/Taylor/Nick/Brooke. That was painful. By then of course the overall writing had also taken a plunge into the abyss and that was enough for me to give up on the show.

It was a bit sad though, because to this day I feel that B&B during it's heyday was a top class soap opera.

• Members

Hi all!

It's been a busy few days but allow me to investigate - I'll keep everyone posted.

Update 1: Everyone is correct in suspecting the Vault is now out of space. Thankfully it's not the situation like last time where the Vault space being reduced because Microsoft flagging the account. I've done a quick analysis of the folders taking up the most space, and the three biggest culprits are as follows:

B&B 1994 - 250 GB

B&B 2019 - 180 GB

Y&R 1999 - 690 GB

I suspect that it's because the file sizes are huge for each episode. That being said, I recommend temporarily removing B&B 2019 so people can continue to upload. In the meantime, I will take episodes with unnecessarily large files and reconvert them to H.265, which should save a considerable amount of space without sacrificing quality. This process will probably go over the course of a few weeks. Worst case scenario is I will spin off Y&R and B&B into their own vaults, which seem like an inevitability down the road. 

Thanks!

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92

• Members

Taylor coming back from the dead a gazillion times kind of lost my interest in the character and while I thought Nick was a solid rival for Ridge - who did need a solid rival to be more tolerable and they never wrote Thorne well enough to be it - the Nick/Brooke story lost me when Bridget started being part of it and it became all too incestuous for me - again.

But one thing I will say for the Taylor/Brooke/Nick/Ridge quad is that it still led me to one of my favorite moments which is Taylor finding out the baby she carried had been conceived with Brooke's egg. 
Don't get me wrong: the story was insanely stupid and the acting iffy but it still is one of my favorite B&B camp moments of all times.

• Members

Update 2: I found the source of the problem! The reason some file sizes are so huge is because of a OneDrive feature called Versioning. Its core function is to keep a version of a file between changes. This is usually triggered if somebody changes the name of the file on OneDrive. What this means is if a file gets renamed, the file size will end up doubling because OneDrive keeps a previous version, or if it gets re-named twice, then the file size will triple. Unfortunately I've tried to turn off this feature but it doesn't allow me to, at least for this OneDrive account.

There isn't a quick and easy way within OneDrive to automatically delete previous versions of a file. That being said, I keep an automatic sync of the Vault on an external hard drive which saves only the newest versions. What I'm currently doing is moving the folders away from the sync folder, deleting the files on OneDrive, and re-syncing them.

What this means on your end is that you will notice once in a while some folders for certain years going missing. This is normal while I re-migrate the files onto the drive without the unnecessary space. I'm hoping to do this within a week.

By the end of this, we should recover about 1.42TB of storage - plenty of wiggle room until I have to worry about another solution. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime!

• Members

Vault Update 3:

Good news! I was able to re-sync the 1990s folders for both Y&R and B&B, and 2000s/2010s Y&R and doing that managed to free up 1.5TB without losing any files. You may now continue to upload as usual. Please bear in mind if you choose to re-name the files, download them, rename on your computer, and re-upload them to avoid OneDrive Versioning. This will save up tremendous amounts of space.

Down the road, if we do max out at 5TB, I'm looking into spinning off Y&R into its own OneDrive account. But that's a future me problem. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92

• Members

i propose instead of renaming videos we do a file in each year with a list of the name of the video and what episode/date it is supposed to be. That way we will safe space from now on.

Thank you 1994 uploader

Please register in order to view this content

for the new uploads