What was the fatal blow to your show?

• Members

ATWT: Rose's dying and Benjamin Hendrickson passing away.

DAYS: I have so many - but, ultimately, the island fiasco was just too much to take. If they had just left the original storyline as is, it would have been great. Viewers were coming back big time and they got plenty of mainstream coverage. First, for the killing of vets and then with the Marlena reveal, which was a shocker.

Y&R: In a three of four month period: Ryan's death; Malcolm "death" and AB leaving role of Mac. The show lost more than 1 million viewers (particularly AA women). I'm also certain that horrible Neil being a drunk in the gutter as a result of Malcolm's death turned people off (I know I FF through ever scene until VR returned).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH: Re-writing history. I've never seen a show re-write so much of it's history to fit a new-agenda. This includes Sonny's multiple "first loves", Luke hating Laura and the life they lived, Luke's ONS with Holly, Luke resenting his children, etc.

• Members

GL-The Bauers being dismantled, Hiliary Bauer dying, Quint and Nola being backburnered, Phillip and Beth breaking up, Alan leaving, the show becoming the Reva show, all theses things kncoked it off of it's shirt reign at number 1 and thus the downward spiral!

• Members

I do want to echo the fact that I agree with the people who said Passions had no pay off. You would think JER would have done them considering what a ratings grabber they were for him on DAYS. The stories kept spinning and nothing new was created. I wonder if he had stayed at Days 9 years what would have that show looked liked

• Members

AMC: Felicia Minei Behr's arrival in 1989, and her subsequent trashing of everything that made AMC unique among soaps.

OLTL: Linda Gottlieb leaving in 1994 because ABC started to interfere too much in casting decisions. OLTL was still good through about 1996, but completely lost it after that....it rebounded for awhile in the early 2000's, but once Gary Tomlin left, it was all over.

GH: The last time it was really good was late 2002/very early 2003, when Brenda (who I think is a horrible character played by a one-note actress) was back. Pratt/Guza blew their wad there, and didn't seem to realize that it was the umbrella story of her return that raised the ratings, not her herself. Skye, for instance, who was the perfect anti-heroine and star player throughout that story was dumped like yesterday's garbage into the awful Dobson storyline after VMG left at that time. It's never been good since.

• Members

How could I forget that Cheap?! I love Heather/RM but that was just odd.

ICAM. I always thought Ted King, Ingo Rademacher, Robin Christopher and Nancy Lee Grahn were the TRUE stars of that storyline, and the ones who made it work. But of course it got attributed to VM.

• Members

At this point, I think anyone seeing the ratings for VMG's latest return has to finally realize it wasn't VM who brought in those ratings last time around, it was the great umbrella story that involved much of the cast. But, alas, they never "got it," and so the show is toast by next September.

Archived