The Soap Fan's Smithsonian Display

• Members

In another thread we found ourselves defining what seat pieces, props and bits of wardrobe most defined a specific character. The conversation centered around Dr. Maria Santos' push up bra. But also went on to discuss Zach's Redwings jersey and Tad's pinball machine.

So out of curiosity if you could buy, bury, destroy, keep, restore one thing about a character what would it be and on what show? For me it would be OLTL's John McBain. I would pay serious money if I could purchase the destruction rights to that nasty leather jacket he's been wearing all these years. It's like Harry Potter's invisibility cloak except evil.

If not that, then I want Frankie Hubbard's shirts because...duh.

What memento or talisman of the soap era do wish you could or could've saved?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm dating myself here but I would've loved a GL football autographed by Billy Lewis and Hampton Speakes.

Perhaps I'm showing my soft soap fangurl underbelly but I loved the true, amazing, deep down friendship we saw between the Billy and Hamp. If there were ever such a thing as a soap opera museum, that story needs to be honored, instead of the loathsome crap currently passing itself off as writing.

• Members

Most of my picks are from the 80s...showing my age! How about the Eterna spacesuits from OLTL? Maybe the Salem Slasher's signature raven's feather, and the All My Children album from its opening credits. To go really old school, how bout the microphone boom that was visible in an episode of Dark Shadows.

• Members

I LOVE this question!

I'd keep a pair of Anne Heche's Vicky's clip on earrings from AW. I always got a kick out of her tearing one off when she'd answer the phone- she did it almost every time.

I'd love to put Eden's wedding gown from Santa Barbara on display, with Marcy as the model for the mannequin. She looked exquisite.

For DAYS, the first thing that pops into my head is the patch on Steve Johnson's face, probably the most important prop of all-time on a soap IMO. Hated the character, but that patch was HUGE!

• Members

Rae Woodard's caftans. Such an embarrassing and dowdy look which poor Louise Shaffer was stuck in for years on end.

A lock of Siobhan Ryan's (Sarah Felder) hair. That hair was truly who she was. When ABC made her cut it, they killed anything the character ever stood for.

That cardboard cutout of Kim that Doug Cummings kept on ATWT.

John Dixon's big old eyeglasses.

The Angelique portrait.

The hatpin that killed Angelique Stokes...or so they thought anyway.

The Bauer kitchen.

Jack Finelli's apartment.

Holly's WSPR office. Along with the Spaulding and Lewis boardrooms and Roger's apartment those are perhaps my favorite soap sets ever.

The Tina wig Maria Roberts wore when she tried to run Viki down!

• Members

Myra Murdoch's brooch. I think that would be a nice memento from the Cortlandt family. Or if I could have a piece of furniture, Palmer's globe with the secret compartment.

I would have contractors come in and install Robert Scorpio's sliding wall and prehistoric yet superpowerful computer.

• Members

The parallel time room/Angelique Stokes worship room. Oh how I loved every minute of that. Freaky Roger ogling her portrait. Stupid characters standing around in the empty, dusty regular time Collinwood room and then being shocked when bad green screen put them into the parallel time room. And the best part, characters opening the door and looking in on conversations in the other time.

Archived