Y&R: Actress OUT

• Members

Just another case of MAB's combined lust for 'big name ' casting and 'honoring' history.

Instead of creating a new character that Maura could run with (hypothetically,since the writing/character depth is atrocious these days) they looked back and thought 'wow Diane has a past with Victor,let's rehash that',even though age and looks wise Maura was nowhere suitable as Diane.

Same for Eden/Heather.

God knows who they'll swoop on from AMC/OLTL to play Matt Miller,Scotty Grainger and Cole Howard.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But that's the thing, she wasn't Diane because Diane wasn't a background or supporting character, nor was she a stupid bitch. Even when she wasn't front burner, Diane Jenkins was a firecracker, especially under Alex Donnelly's time. I'm not attacking the Maura West at all, she did very well with what she was given, but she didn't have the charisma to play Diane when she's not front burner, she just didn't light things up. Of course it's the writing's fault. This is MAB and Sheffer and Hamner, they destroy everything their pens touch.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sheffer pushed for Maura to be (mis)-cast. He wanted to do a hatchet job on her from day one.

• Members

Are we sure all this big name casting is MAB? Yeah she's a crappy writer but reading about how Sony thinks its a great idea to now

go after AMC and OLTL castoffs for YR and maybe Days, it sounds like they are "soap star" crazy moreso than MAB

• Members

I think the decision to bring MW to Y&R in the first place was a good one. It makes sense that they would try to get a popular actress from a canceled soap, in the hopes that viewers might follow her. I think some viewers did. After that initial decision mistakes were obviously made. Still, I'd love to know what happened behind the scenes. It's hard for me to believe this was entirely storyline dictated.

• Members

I think they'd keep Eden even if she hadn't been pregnant/just had a baby. She was an ABC star and that means a lot to someone at Y&R. Otherwise I don't know if Liz Hendrickson, after her fourth or fifth straight failed pairing and story, would still be arond.

• Members

That is a point. I don't really want anyone to be fired, but if these soaps are going to fire people, they should fire the right people, the mediocre actors who cannot make the material interesting.

I watch a little of Maura on Y&R and thought she turned in some solid performances. The character was sabotage by consistently bad writing, but Y&R writers could have still salvaged the character if they wanted to, obviously they didn't want to.

Archived