AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was reading an old magazine that talked about a summer 1981 story (or spring maybe) with Nina slowly dying while being held in a bank with Sean. Do any of you know a lot about that story? It screams strike filler to me.

I'd love to know what people think of 1981 strike material compared to 1988, what damage it did (if any, etc.). It seems like AMC wasn't all that hurt in the 1981 period - it was more 84 or 85 when they lost steam for whatever reason (perhaps lack of interesting new heroines - always a problem with AMC).

• Members

You never seem to hear as much about the 81 strike as the 88 one--was it shorter? I think AMC was still peaking around then and it probably would have taken much to derail it. I don't think the AMC Family Album mentions the story.

I think they lost some steam in '85 and '86 which is when Babbin, who initially was given so much credit for the hugely popular 1983 season, left or was fired. Broderick also was promoted around that time to co-HW, according to the credits.

• Members

I believe Jenny and Opal had come onto the show that summer (summer of 1981). Around that time also was when Nina found out Daisy was her mother and Sean was arrested for the murder of Sybil. As for Nina being an exec, I'm not sure about others, but I thought it would make sense that after being daddy's little girl for so long that she would want something of her own.

Broderick was promoted in 1987. I thought that was a good year for AMC. They reached number one the episode Julie found out about Ross raping Natalie and running away to NY. I thought the Natalie story with Palmer and Ross was pretty good, though I remember Kate Collins saying she thought it was silly that Natalie would hide Silver's body. This was also around the time the Cindy AIDS story started. 1988 is when things became a bit uneven, imo. Palmer and Mr U in jail was the start of a more silly, less ruthless Palmer, I think. I do remember the magazines saying they felt AMC had lost some of it's humor it was known for during Broderick's stint.

Edited by ghfan89