AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

New York lasted quite a long time because remember, Jenny had to go on the run in NY, and then had to embark on a modeling career up until the year she died, 1984? Erica was in NY all that time. Brandon Kingsley and Sensuelle were in NY, but so were the Bogardes much later, and there are even clips online from when Jane Elliot was on the show at the NY hot spot "Nexus".

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There's a week of Dec '87 episodes online I've posted before (in very good quality) and they're pretty great, although it does feel like there were almost too many different, and not too interconnected, stories going on, which is one complaint I heard about AMC until 1989 when it was restructured under DePriest and Behr (ABC seemed to have a lot of faith in DePriest--immediatelyafter she went to OLTL to, I assume, also kinda restructure the show where she seems to have had less success).

• Members

I just wonder if fans at the time complained or if the show managed to flit between both worlds effortlessly. If you think about it, it makes a lot more sense than the more recent efforts to turn Pine Valley into some big cosmopolitan setting, which got worse thanks to Fusion.

• Members

No, in fact I always got the sense (obviously this is more just an impression than based on actual observation) that fans really enjoyed many of those stories--of course Jesse and Jenny's Summer in New York *was* a beloved storyline.

AMC used to do better with that in general--they also used Center City whenever they needed to show a pimp, or that slum Foxy's where Opal made Jenny work, etc--since much of that wouldn't exist in Pine Valley.

• Members

I felt the different locales enhanced the show because NYC and Center City embellished and enhanced Pine Valley by showing what it was not. You used to have a real sense of place with AMC, you could picture the town in your head. This is where the show went bad in the very early 90s, when suddenly it was all towns to all people with gothic mansions on one street, and the hippest of night clubs on the next. No one knows what Pine Valley is anymore.

• Members

Yes, totally agreed. Agnes tried (somewhat) to bring back that small, fairly well off, town society in 1999 but it was pretty much lost by the 90s. To be fair, nearly all the soaps had problems with this--lots of it happening in the 80s when soaps felt they had to glam it up to Dynasty levels, in some ways AMC held onto it longer than some others.

• Members

I agree. I miss the Tylers, but in a way their role was filled with the Cortlands, the Chandlers, even to a much lesser degree the Merricks (who in some ways were a replacement for the once Gothic, and less and less so Cortlands). It makes sense to have one or two welathy families moving out by Pine Valley in an estate--it doesn't make sense to have three huge companies based in downtown Pine Valley though at all... Even having a campy small disco like Erica's makes some sense (by 1980 discos were showing up in suburban strip malls--which is why 'true" disco fans said they knew disco had officially died lol).

Again to be fair, AMC held on to the Martins well for a while, again better than on some other soaps--and there were extents later on to build them--having Kelsey live with Ruth and Joe, etc, but more thought should have gone into it.