AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Sydney Scott was played by Deborah Steinberg Solomon.She had previously had a 4 yr run on ATWT as Amanda Holmes,who was a major character during that time.However,Sydney was a suporting character who was dropped sometime in 71.

Linc was played by James Karen,who had previously been on ATWT as Susan's father.He was 47 at the time.Paul Dumont took over in 1970 until 71

Then Nicholas Pryor in 71,who was 36,so the character was de-aged, Linc was dropped and returned in 74 played by Peter White who at the time was 37.

Ann had already been played by Diane De Vegh.I read that she only appeared once. Is that true? Joanna Miles took over and then Judith assumed the role in 71.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

As always, Paul, thanks so much for your information! I know most of the minor supporting characters on AMC from the 80s on, but the ones from particularly the early 70s are largely a mystery, unless they appear in a random episode or a summary. Solomon seems quite appealing though (I wonder if that boutique later became Myrtle's?)

• Members

Thank you for the information on Sydney. I'm surprised that she didn't stay in Anne's life, as AMC seemed to keep supporting characters for quite a long time.

AMC did seem to have a lot of problems finding the right actors to play the Tylers, with the notable exceptions of Charles and Phoebe. The idea is often that Chuck was not well cast until Richard van Vleet, and he didn't take over until about 3-5 years after the show started.

• Members

That reminds me of how on OLTL, Michael Malone, I think, refused to have a "good" homophobe to balance out the characters who were spewing anti-gay trash.

In this story, I think it works that they had Tom, who was pro-life, but not an extremist, like the people in those credits.

This story is probably even more timely now than it was in 1994, but no soap would ever go near it today.

• Members

And therein lies the difference between Michael Malone and Agnes Nixon. Nixon would have allowed all sides to have their say.

Tom was a devout Catholic whose faith was important to him. That was one facet to his character that I always appreciated.

• Members

I thought the Billy Douglas story worked well with the exception of Clint's bile. That felt like an agenda and a bad stereotype and was very unfair to Clint (because it wasn't about him "learning" - as it was with noble-homophobe Sloan - it was about him being an a$$). Unfortunately it seems like most other soap stories that try to deal with the issue often go overboard with cartoon homophobes, when in real life, "nice" people are often the most prejudiced.

I always wonder what it was that took AMC from having genuinely good characters, like Tom, to having the self-righteous, harsh, unforgiving "good" characters, like the latter day Martins. That was one of the main things that drove me away from AMC in the late 90's.

Edited by CarlD2