AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Many thought the show went downhill in '85-'86. Of course, losing highly popular stars such as Kim Delaney, Dorothy Lyman and Marcy Walker didn't help matters. It seems in '87 the show improved in writing (I believe AMC was named 'Most Improved Show' by SOD that year). The Cortlandt story -- which climaxed with Ross' rape of Natalie and the resulting trial -- was the major story that year.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

1989 was when they started cleaning house, right? I wonder what went on in 1988 that pushed in that direction. I know that was the year Laura was killed, Skye was a bigot and spent months in a coma, Erica gave birth to Bianca, and wasn't that the year Silver was killed and Palmer blackmailed Natalie.

• Members

Yeah.

I think the strike that year hurt the show. I think very early '88 was considered good, but things became a bit lackluster after that. That was also the year Erica took off with Bianca and posed as a waitress at a hick diner. I think her name was Sally.

'89 was when Felicia Minei Behr became EP.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

AMC was in a transition/downhill stage sometime in the mid 80's but I felt Broderick's first headwriting stint started out really strong and 1987 was one of the best years of AMC. Sometime in '88 she lost her way as there became too many stories to follow, though I don't know if this was because of her or because of the writers strike, or maybe both.

• Members

I'm not sure I've seen that one yet. A few years ago I watched the episodes where Cliff was in the South American prison or whatever - from what I've seen of Cliff I'm a little surprised he lasted as long as he did. I think they tried to write him out in 1986 or 1987 but fan demand brought him back.

I saw the episode where Pat was counseling Natalie after her rape, and Natalie and Wilma had to deal with ugliness from people in the boutique - that was very good.

• Members

Who was that with Enid?

It's sad that woman playing Wilma here was killed not too long after this - I like her work, and I like seeing a reminder of what Natalie came from. I think there were so many dynamics with the Marlowes which seemed to be lost when the story mostly became about Janet being crazy.

AMC had so many "redemption via rape" stories but this one seems like it was one of the strongest.

The way they had Myrtle standing up to Enid while still doubting Natalie was very human, very good, grey writing - good luck seeing that on a soap today.

• Members

I was going to ask - did you know there's a Youtube channel that uploads a lot of classic Joan stuff (some of her silent films, and more obscure TV appearances, among others)?

(If that isn't Joan Crawford, just blame tired eyes)

Edited by CarlD2