AMC: New Jesse & Angie Promo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, come on, AMC. Did Angie's illness render her stupid and blind? You cannot convince me Angie will take to or bond with any baby under these circumstances. Jesse could hand her any baby he wants, but if she (or the writers) has any brains at all, she'll know something isn't "right." I mean, they call it "maternal instinct" for a reason.

• Members

The only way I could see Angie believing it is if she has to convince herself, because she has invested so much in this baby and was so sure something was going to happen. For her to wake up and now learn the child is healthy might be something she uses as a life raft.

• Members

...And on a real soap, you'd see that: Angie working double-time to convince herself that the baby is okay and she and Jesse have nothing more to worry about...but all the while, having this gnawing feeling in the back of her mind that something is terribly out of place.

• Members

Angie is blind so that takes care of her not being able to tell that it is a different baby. Angie was unconscious before Jessie could tell her that their baby is dead so if the baby that Brock brings was also just born, then this could work. Other than Jesse and Brock's suspicious behavior, there is no way that Angie would know the truth so i can see her bonding with the new baby easliy.

• Members

I dont see what "maternal instinct" has anything to do with this. Babies do get switched in real lives and the parents tend to not have any clue till they are informed of that fact. I dont see how Angie is stupid for not knowing that this baby isnt hers. You dont have to give birth to a baby in order to bond with it.

• Members

I think that's exactly what we're going to see. But you don't expect that to happen this week do you? Is Jesse supposed to put a baby in her arms and Angie say, "This isn't my daughter!" Of course she's going to figure out something's wrong. She's a mother and a doctor.

• Members

Of course not. I realize this story has to play out for awhile before Angie begins getting suspicious about the baby. Nevertheless, given how idiotic the stories tend to be nowadays, I'm fearing (and reacting to) Angie will be utterly clueless, "because, hey, it ain't like she can see the runt or anything!".

• Members

What Cheap said.

Exactly. This idea that there is this "mystical maternal instinct" is absolute rubbish. I don't know where people get that from. You have a baby, if you haven't seen if before like after a cesarean section or you only held it for a second or two when you were exhausted, you have no clue if it is or isn't your baby if someone doesn't tell you. How on earth could you? A nurse hands you the baby and says it is yours and you bond with the child, period.

• Members

I think there is such a think as maternal instinct, but I don't see what it would have to do with knowing which baby is yours. Maternal instinct is simply being in tune with what your child needs. Its heightened empathy and intuition. There's nothing mystical or infallible about it. All animals are born with the instinct to take care of their young, unless something goes awry. I definitely think Angie will know something is not quite right, but if Jessie hands her a baby and says it's hers, I don't see how she would know it isn't. Not only did she just go through the trauma of childbirth, but what are the chances another baby would just happen to be there?

Archived