Elizabeth Taylor has passed away

• Members

Not unexpected, but still a huge loss. One of the last true stars we had left, beautiful and fascinating, a woman who essentially helped to invent modern celebrity culture and played that up to the hilt for many decades. A dear friend to many who were seen as unworthy and unwanted, even when the safe thing to do was to join in the usual shunning. Also one hell of an actress.

And of course she had one of the most delicious and campy star cameos ever on daytime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbyE1cDNW4Y&feature=related

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:o:o:o

May she rest in peace. Lord knows she deserves to after the health scares she went through in her life.

She was really the first celeb to push for AIDS research and raise money for the cause, back in the mid-80s when it first became apparent what was going on. She was fearless and tenacious in her devotion to the cause. Viva!

lizt_newman_cattinroof.jpg

elle1.jpg

• Members

I liked A Place in the Sun, but am lukewarm about Cleopatra. She was wonderful in the epic Giant also.

I have a copy of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Every now and then, I pull it out and watch it. I never cease to be amazed by how stunningly beautiful Elizabeth Taylor is in that film. Her performance is also outstanding as the plucky tormented Maggie. She holds her own with Paul Newman (at his most physically beautiful) and Burl Ives. What a cast!

• Members

I think she said she wanted to be buried with him and wanted to be with him again in the afterlife. I'm sure they are. Mike Todd too.

The subject matter was awful but I still was fascinated by her performance in Suddenly Last Summer, with the haunted Montgomery Clift (a dear friend of hers - even though he got her caught up in all his insecurities about his sexuality she was always there for him, even literally holding his face together at one point). The scene of her in the white bathing suit is stunning.

• Members

Apparently on the night that he died, Richard Burton wrote a goodbye-my-love letter to Elizabeth Taylor. This was YEARS after they divorced -- indeed, they were both married to other people at the time.

If there is an afterlife (and I'm hoping there is), she's up there with him. They're probably hanging with Mike Todd, too, the first great love of her life.

Giant! How could I forget?

Archived