Elizabeth Taylor has passed away

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"The shock of Elizabeth was not only her beauty. It was her generosity. Her giant laugh. Her vitality, whether tackling a complex scene on film or where we would all have dinner until dawn. She is singular and indelible on film and in our hearts." - director Mike Nichols.

"We were always friends to the end. I shall remember her as a woman whose heart and soul were as beautiful as her classic face and majestic eyes." - ex-husband and former US senator John Warner.

"It was a long, productive career and she was the most glamorous and sexual star of our generation. No-one else could equal Elizabeth's beauty and sexuality. Women liked her and men adored her, and her love for her children is enduring. She was a symbol of stardom. Her legacy will last." - actress Debbie Reynolds.

"It wasn't just her beauty or her stardom. It was her humanitarianism. She put a face on HIV/AIDS. She was funny. She was generous. She made her life count." - Barbra Streisand.

"For more than a generation, she brought to life unforgettable characters on film and her tireless efforts to combat AIDS brought hope to millions of people around the world." - Bill and Hillary Clinton

"We have just lost a Hollywood giant; more importantly, we have lost an incredible human being." - Sir Elton John.

"So sad to hear about my beautiful friend Elizabeth Taylor. She was a great human being." - Sir Michael Caine.

"Elizabeth and I began our careers about the same time at MGM. Throughout her tumultuous life, she will be remembered for some unique and memorable work." - actress Angela Lansbury.

"Such a sad day. Elizabeth Taylor was the last of the Hollywood greats and a fantastically charming woman. She was also the only person I've ever met that had violet eyes. They were genuinely violet. So beautiful." - George Michael.

"I personally saw her sitting on the floor next to [terminally] sick people, holding their hands and comforting them. She was beautiful, super talented as an actress, a dear friend. I will miss her forever." - designer Valentino Garavani.

"She was witty and self-deprecating, which I found surprising and delightful. She loved to laugh." - Steve Martin.

"Like a pure white diamond you'll shine on and on and on." - Kylie Minogue.

"Elizabeth Taylor was a great friend, a great star and one gutsy woman. She was so special. You won't see the likes of her again." - Larry King.

"She was the last of the true Hollywood icons, a great beauty, a great actress and continually fascinating to the world throughout her tumultuous life and career." - Joan Collins.

"I was always staggered by her ferocity. Her life has not been an easy or a private one, but a series of tribulations, serious illnesses, senseless tragedy and lost love." - Paul Newman, in 2008, before his death.

"Dame Elizabeth was without doubt one of the most inspirational figures in the fight against AIDS. She leaves a monumental legacy that has improved and extended millions of lives and will enrich countless more for generations to come." - American Foundation for Aids Research.

"At a time when so many living with HIV/AIDS were invisible, Dame Taylor fearlessly raised her voice to speak out against injustice. Dame Taylor was an icon not only in Hollywood, but in the LGBT community where she worked to ensure that everyone was treated with the respect and dignity we all deserve." - Jarrett Barrios, Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

"It's easy to forget just how much fear there was 25 years ago and how big a star she was. In a way that was typical of her, she used her fame to lever millions of pounds to support and change attitudes towards people with HIV. She was the pattern card of how stars can use their celebrity for good." - Sir Nick Partridge from the UK AIDS organisation, Terrence Higgins Trust.

"Her sense of humour, passion for life, never-ending dedication and generosity of spirit will be remembered by all of us. She will be deeply missed." - E Scott Beattie, chief executive of Elizabeth Arden.

• Members

I was very sad over Dame Elizabeth taylor's death. I knew it was comming but come on, this is a woman who's survived so many illness, I just thought she had a lot of living left to do.

The one thing people need to remember is Elizabeth Taylor was a gay Icon. People talk about Judy Garland and others but Elizabeth Taylor was not only a gay icon, but she loved it! She loved gay people. her best friends were Montgomery Clift, Rock Hudson and Roddy Mcdowell. They were all gay, wheither they were out publiclly or not. Yes she was a great actress and was always in the tabloids for her marriages but now people will finally really know that after her movie career ended (her choice), she devoted her life to AID's. It's shocking that some people don't know too much about that part of her life because all they saw was the public life of the past. well now they finally will. That is the one good thing to come out of such a sad day, people will listen to and read about her life and everything she's done to help raise money for AID's. I think she would love to know that.

I always said she was a living legend, now she's just a legend.

Archived