OLTL Thru The Years

• Members

Lets Talk OLTL Creative Wise By Using The List Of EP's and HW's To Discuss Highs & Lows

EP:

January 2003 to present Frank Valentini

January 2001 to December 2002 Gary Tomlin

December 1997 to January 2001 Jill Farren Phelps

October 1996 to December 1997 Maxine Levinson

July 1994 to October 1996 Susan Bedsow Horgan

July 1991 to June 1994 Linda Gottlieb

August 1984 to June 1991 Paul Rauch

August 1983 to July 1984 Jean Arley

July 1977 to August 1983 Joseph Stuart

July 1968 to July 1977 Doris Quinlan

HW:

May 2, 2008 to present Ron Carlivati

February 15, 2008 to May 1, 2008 Gary Tomlin (During WGA strike)

September 11, 2007 to February 14, 2008 Ron Carlivati

May 8, 2007 to September 10, 2007 Dena Higley

Ron Carlivati

December 13, 2004 to May 7, 2007 Dena Higley

November 29, 2004 to December 10, 2004 Brian Frons

Frank Valentini

March 23, 2004 to November 24, 2004 Michael Malone

March 10, 2003 to March 22, 2004 Josh Griffith

Michael Malone

February 3, 2003 to March 7, 2003 Josh Griffith

January 2001 to January 31, 2003 Lorraine Broderick

Christopher Whitesell

September 1999 to March 2001 Megan McTavish

January 1999 to September 1999 No Headwriter was credited at this time

March 30, 1998 to December 31, 1998 Pamela K. Long

June 1997 to March 29, 1998 Claire Labine

Matthew Labine

December 1996-June 1997 Jean Passanante

Peggy Sloane

April 1996 to December 1996 Leah Laiman

Jean Passanante

Peggy Sloane

March 1995 to March 1996 Michael Malone

January 1992 to February 1995 Josh Griffith

Michael Malone

August 1991 to January 1992 Michael Malone

May 1991 to August 1991 Craig Carlson

September 1990 to May 1991 Craig Carlson

Leah Laiman

July 1987 to July 1990 S. Michael Schnessel

July 1984 to June 1987 Peggy O'Shea

December 1983 to June 1984 Sam Hall

Peggy O'Shea

June 1983 to December 1983 John William Corrington

Joyce Corrington

February 1983 to June 1983 Henry Slesar

July 1982 to January 1983 Sam Hall

Henry Slesar

March 1980 to May 1982 Sam Hall

Peggy O'Shea

November 1978 to March 1980 Gordon Russell

Sam Hall

September 1973 to October 1978 Gordon Russell

August 1972 to September 1973 Agnes Nixon

Gordon Russell

July 1968 to July 1972 Agnes Nixon

Paul Roberts

Don Wallace

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know this is not considered the peak period of OLTL, but it was so insane it was bordeline brilliant in it's OTT nonsense. The Sanders clan, Ursula, Gabrielle, time traveling and the greatest soap story ever: Eterna. It was like they took drugs before they showed up every day. I loved every moment of it.

• Members

First of all, thanks a million to John for compiling this list! :)

EricMontreal22, there was a writers strike in 1988 (3/7 - 8/7). You're not alone re 1988. Erika Slezak has mentioned over the years that she disliked the work during that period because of the strike and its aftermath. Viki's "Miss Ginny" (who grew to be a very popular character) had to do all the heavy lifting to drag out the Old West storyline. Also, at one point they got dangerously close to ending up back in 1988 without Viki ever having been born. I'm a huge fan of the Gottlieb era. That was an all-round quality period in OLTL history IMO. It was like "OLTL: The 3D Movie" compared to this century. Major props to Linda's staff for finally getting Viki out of her premature-matron garb and dressing her own age. But then OJ came along........ :(

• Members

What other stories were going on during the 1988 strike?

Why do you think Miss Ginny was so popular? She was very different from Viki wasn't she? I know Erika said that the crew were very fond of that character.

What stories were going on during the 1981 strike, and were they anything that damaged the show?

• Members

That gawd awful storyline where Mari-Lynn shot Lee Halpern Sanders and went on trial that was presided over by none other than Judge Mary Stuart. Oh, and Steve Holden's endless coma, where a non contract day player played a detective who tried to figure out who clobbered Steve over the head; he racked up more airtime than some of the contract players for a long time. :rolleyes:

• Members

Carl, Ginny was so vulnerable, fragile and shy when she first came to Buchanan City in 1888. She was also very uptight in a proprietary kind of way which was amusing. She was resigned to never finding love and being a spinster. I remember one scene where she asked Clint to describe what it felt like to be kissed. He did his best to explain, but she pressed him for more details. Finally, Clint said, "You don't talk about it...you do it" and he planted one on Ginny! Of course, Ginny fell hard for Clint but tried to hide her feelings. Slezak MADE that character work. You only wanted to see a happy ending for Ginny; nothing else would have been acceptable. In retrospect, it's surprising that there was such quality writing and consistency of character for Ginny given the strike. I think that Slezak deserves much of the credit for that.

• Members

Did she have a happy ending? I know she almost married Clint.

I guess some parts of the Old West story must have had some success, since they brought Brenda into the modern day.

I'd forgotten Steve's coma was around this time. Was it a scab who did those hilariously insane scenes of Gabrielle almost smothering Steve and almost committing suicide? That was extreme even for her.

I had forgotten the Mari Lyn trial was then. I remember Schemering panning Mary Stuart's performance. What did you think?

• Members

Disagree. It was too bad Mari-Lynn shot her mother, but that was good soap opera. I'll never forget that day. Me and two others were sitting the nurse station with a tiny portable TV and we gagged when Mari-Lynn accidentally shot Lee. These are the things you don't forget.

• Members

Monty, I say it was gawd awful because it was such a waste of a character and an actress! Janet Zarish's Lee was positioned to be a major character with fingers in a number of storyline pies. Zarish was dramatic dynamite with anyone she played against. I am particularly fond of her scenes with Lois Kibbee after Lee married Charles Sanders and he up and died! :wub:

• Members

Please, don't even mention Lee's brief and pointless resurrection. If people (including yours truly) had not made such a big to-do about it, I doubt Ron Carlivati would have revealed Janet Ketring and Lee Halpern Sanders to be one-and-the-same.

Although Janet Zarish's contract was probably up at that point, I tend to think it was one of those decisions the scabs had made, believing her death would lead to bigger story. Sort of like how AMC's Jesse Hubbard got killed during the strike?

• Members

I know she was supposed to be a Dorian replacement (she even inherited Dorian's relationship with Charles). The show really didn't have that type of character after Lee was killed, did they? I can't count the Melinda misfire.

Archived