Jacqueline Courtney Passed Away!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carl, You always remind me of such great things.

Brenda Brock was a wonderful, underrated actress. Very appealing and so different from any actress on OLTL at that time. Loved Brenda. And she was a truly good person. But never one dimensional or boring. She was a very comforting presence. And I loved her with Larry.

• Members

I bought the issue of SOD they have quotes from several people including Reinholt, Robin Strasser, Linda Dano Brynn Thayer etc. oh and something by Paul Rauch too. Yes that's right:

Courtney must be spinning in her grave already. If anyone else would like to what others said about her, the article on Courtney, or the write-up on Steve and Alice they did I'll gladly type it up for anyone who hasn't bought the mag.

• Members

I don't remember Lemay and Rauch being so kind when they fired her. But at least he was gracious in death.

Any other comments would be great. If you don't want to type them just summarizing would be great too. Anything. I meant to go and read this in a store but haven't seen it yet.

• Members

True, I'm glad Rauch was courteous. No quotes from Lemay but the article makes references to the past remarks of Lemay and Rauch, quoting Lemay from Eight Years and also quotes Courtney that 2004 letter countering Rauch to SOW I mentioned.

I'll post the rest later and probably will scan in the other articles on Courtney. Its interesting Courtney was only 17 when she first started on AW, like a Martha Bryne or Heather Tom. I think Beverly Penberthy had it worse being only 19 when first hired playing wife to a man who in real life was twenty years older than her.

• Members

I teared up just a little when I read Robin's comments. What an eloquent tribute, and so vivid. I love that - Linda Evans before Linda Evans. To think that Robin's last time seeing her was at a funeral, and now she is also gone. I'm sure that must hurt. I also love the image of these young women trying so hard to be more mature than they were. It's difficult to forget sometimes how innocent they must have been. I know Robin has said that Constance Ford was a huge help to her. I wonder if Constance, or Virginia Dwyer or Nancy Wickwire, did the same for Jacquie.

I love what George said too, that great anecdote, and talking about who she really was compared to a glam image.

I don't know if Beverley Penberthy was on any soap before AW, but of course Jacquie was on that show with Esther Ralston for a year or so. She then got to play a regular teen on AW for 3-4 years before moving up in the ranks.

Who was the first actress who played Pat? I can never remember.

• Members

I was a faithful listener to Robin's Hotline so reading her is like hearing her speak for me and I choked up just when she choked up, I could "hear it". I loved the Linda Evans comment too, of course it's been said that their triangle combined with the later Rachel/Mac/Iris one inspired the more famous triangle on Dynasty. It really does scan.

I'm not sure who played the first Pat, but back in my WoST days Beverly Penberthy was a fan-favorite of the AW "fans who were there" in the Golden Age. I realized she lived not far from me, though I've never had a grocery store run-in or anything like that. :P

I was going to ignore it, but you gotta just love how PR praises her for almost everything she was fired for. :rolleyes:

• Members

I second what Carl said, much appreciated! I can't really remark on it creatively, but cast-wise OLTL was poppin' back then, cool that soon-to-be daytime superstars like Dano and Zimmer were greasing their wheels.

• Members

Yeah...that was sort of a transition period for OLTL, in one sense, and you kind of wonder what was going on backstage - I know there have been comments that Judith Light's popularity was a shock to a number of people at the show, which must have caused some bruised egos - so this helps fill in some of the gaps. They don't try to say everything was wonderful, but they say they grew to care about each other, which makes it all seem more believable.

Archived