All: Daytime's Most Powerful Scenes

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is another one for me. I know there has been a lot of controversy over it since it aired. The scene at Georgie's funeral. I always, ALWAYS, loved Felicia. She was one of my favorite characters for years and years. And I, like so so many others, was completely pissed at the character assasination done to this character in later years.

However, this scene really moved me. The scenes leading up, with Felicia and Maxie, also moved me...I was really taken aback because I thought Kristina Wagner and Kirsten Storms had this great mother/daughter vibe and their was a lot of raw tension in those scenes. So while I was really upset that the character of Felicia had come to the point of being humiliated and driven out of her own daughters funeral, the scene was extrememly powerful to me.

I fully still believe KS deserved her emmy for this scene. Even though she had only been on the show for 2 years at the time, and Georgie had interacted far longer with Robyn Richard's Maxie, it felt so real. I could really feel the pain in her voice, and I really felt like I was watching someone losing their sister/best friend.

So while this scene brought mixed emotions to me, because I hate what's been done to Felicia, I have to say it gets the tears flowing every time.

• Members

Some great choices so far. I would add the scene where AW's Mac realizes on the witness stand in Rachel's murder trial that the child Rachel is carrying is Mitch's, not his. Also, GL's Alex excoriating Roger in front of virtually the entire town at the country club.

• Members

Kirsten Storms is fine, but I honestly believe Robyn Richards was the better actress, and might be the best child actor GH ever had (or any other soap, I don't know about all the others). She was a good actress, but I guess her plain jane appearance as she aged just was not what a soap looks for. This scene was really nice and RR did stand out work even as a little kid.

The EON clip just posted is great and I watched that story on YT. Kim Hunter got an amazing exit from that show, and I wish YT had the episode where she is just at the local bar drinking, lamenting about what it is for a woman to grow old and alone. A soap wouldn't deal with such a topic today, and everyone today is ageless.

• Members

Days, 1984

Background, just in case folks aren't familiar:

Roman has faked his death. Bo and Abe knew he was going to, but they believe he was accidentally killed while doing so. It's Bo's job to explain to Marlena what exactly happened and convince her that Roman was innocent.

The Slasher storyline is just loaded with great scenes, including Renee's verbal beatdown at her party, but this is one that gets overlooked a bit. Dee Hall is on fire as hate turns to disbelief, turns to hate, and turns to a grudging understanding.

The scenes between Roman and Abe when Roman convinces him to believe in him (before he fakes his death) are very good as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8zT-EDuQA

• Members

I think that death is way too easy... however, after Maureen Bauer dies, and it is announced to everyone in the waiting room, JFP wisely shot that as a silent scene, as the camera pulls away (like we are an intruder in a private family moment) and you see the look of dis-belief and shock on everyone's face. It helped that GL at that time had good subtle actors who knew how to sell it without chewing the scenery (Deas and Zimmer, I am looking at you) and I particularly remember RH as A-M starting to fold. This was especially powefull as it was a "real," death, Mo was not faking it, no one was going to come back to life.

A similar scene was right after Reva's "death," Josh is paralyzed with grief, laying on the floor and not able to get up. Harley talks to him that he needs to tell the kids, he needs to hold it together for the kids, ....you see that time goes by, and finally, Josh gets up, silently walks out to the pier, and we see Harley's view, a long shot of Josh kneeling down and talking to the kid, and then the kid collapsing into Josh. Scene goes to black. (God, I remember when I really, really like Reva, Josh and Harley, and they acted like "real," people and not the scenery chewing, yelling screaming, shrill annoying characters they would become.)

A good scene that happened during the "shrill," Harley years, when Phillip goes crazy. Harley is confronting him and its the usual Davey Kreizman/Ellen Wheeler drivel of the the good spunky Cooper vs, the Big Bad Spauldings. But there is a connection between the actors, and you see that Phillip is totally lost, and Harley quits her bitching for one minute, goes silent as she comes to the realization that Phillip isnt just being a prick, and says, "My God Phillip, you really ARE sick." I am sure the scene was written to be Harley saying that Phillip was a sick bastard but Ehlers played it the opposite, with shock concern and compassion (something totally missing from GL's writing at that point.) Sounds goofy but it was a good scene.

But my fave scene was right after Bert Bauer's amputation. She comes home, there is party for her at the Bauer house. Bert is being her usual chipper, Bert Bauer can handle anything mode. She says she will go to the kitchen and get a plate for someone. Unknown to her, Mo watches we see Bert drop the plate, and try to pick it up and she can't. She simply breaks down and starts to cry out of frustration. Powefull, subtle scene, especailly for an audience who grew up watching Bert Bauer handle any crisis with a chipper attitude and to see her having to be the one who is being comforted.

Archived