Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes. I assume they had access to the entire Columbia Pictures library and they borrowed from it to add on to their originally composed themes for the show. All the old background music really set the tone for the show. They kept using it up till about 2000 when they started to phase it out in favor of new material, which stinks. 

• Members

Y&R's beautiful, evocative music set such a rich, warm tone for the show, just like DAYS' background music of yore did for that series. It's such a shame that soaps pay little or no attention to their background melodies anymore.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

It's posted up on its entirety on Youtube actually. The only downside is that the album mainly has all of the various romantic themes as well as the infamous cheating theme but none of some the more recognizable music that usually got played during catfigthts or dramatic sequences. It's fascinating though that Y&R did retain its original 70's background theme well into the '90s and probably one of the better things of the MAB/Sheffer/Hamner/Rauch era was that MAB did actually restore the soundtrack here and there at the times, including using the Brooks theme as late as 2011. 

• Members

Lots of people bashed the soundtrack on reviews on Amazon, because they didn't include any of the suspense or more familiar tracks from the 70's-early 90's......I wonder why that was?,  and the only one they were able to get was the "Rainbow" track.....I think they still used that into the 2010's occasionally.....

I didn't know the Brook's Theme track was used into 2011....it's one of my favorites off the 1974 album, but I love the slower rendition of it they played in the 70's.....like from this scene here...

• Members

I LOVE the 90s Y&R soundtrack album. My older cousin had it on CD way back when and would play it while she cleaned around the house whenever she was babysitting elementary school-aged AMS. I ripped a good bit of them from YouTube and play them when I want to give my students some quiet time to work in class. In watching 90s episodes online, I was disappointed to see that some of the tunes I've gotten so close to ("Aloneness," "Peaceful," "Look at Me," "Sueno," etc) were never really in heavy rotation. It's very soapy music, fit for daytime.

• Members

Yeah it was used when Billy and Victoria first brought home Lucy if I recall right. The other classic theme I remember being played in 2011 is when Victor personally handed over an a grand jury indictment to Jack in June 2011 this theme was playing: 

I personally love the Genoa City theme, that was used up through at least 1993: 

And of course, my favorite, the 3 A.M. Theme! Or Nick & Grace's theme lol, but it was also used for Diego & Sharon, Sharon & Cameron, Ryan & Tricia, and Neil & Alex etc. I thought it was a late '90s and early '00s theme for affairs, but I have found it was used as early as 1994 for Jill & Jed!

• Members

I hate MAB's era, but I wouldn't mind seeing some of those 2011 scenes again just to hear that music....Of course the writing was pure trash, and it wouldn't have ever gone well with the music anyways...

I think the G.C theme was used sporadically till 1998ish....it was played in this scene in this 1995 episode.

haha yeah, they play that music with Jed and Jill at the start of this episode.

• Members

OMFG!!!!!

Are there any more private, unlisted Y&R eps from the 1970s that someone can send me links to???

I almost had a heart attack from joy here!

(A private message would be fine.)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Just got word, my 1980 episodes are going to be shipped out tomorrow, so you'll all be seeing them within the week!

Please register in order to view this content

One thing, though, apparently only April 14 and June 16, 1980 are the only full episodes, the April 16th one is only a repeat scene from the 14th supposedly. But, Bond Gideon plays Jill in the April 14th one. I also purchased a few episodes from November 1991 surrounding Lauren's baby, Dylan's, death and her grieving. Those should be heart-wrenching. Stay Tuned!

Edited by ltm1997