Space:1999 Blu-ray release

alphanguy74

• Members

To be released Novmeber 30, complete restoration from original 35 MM negatives, and including 5.1 audio track (The show's themes and many background pieces still exisited as full stereo masters)

http://www.amazon.com/Space-1999-Complete-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B003ES5JDI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290131824&sr=8-2

(November 1 was the release date for the PAL format blu-ray... november 30 in the NTSC release date, both taken from same sources)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some years back, I bought VHS tapes of the series from someone.

I had mainly liked the show because of Martin Landau but the 2nd season was pretty painful to watch. Actually, some of the first season was pretty painful, too. But I thought the story quality really sunk in the second season. The addition of Maya became too much of a copout and sometimes cringeworthy when watching a guy running around in a monster gorilla costume. Paul & Victor disappeared without mention, Tony suddenly appeared as second in command.

I just thought the potential for a better show was wasted.

• Members

Yeah, season 2 was just crap. They have no plans for a year two blu-ray... I don't think anyone would buy it. Year one is fabulous, it's not everyone's taste, you have to like the slowness of the pacing, there's alot of subtlety and subtext... and you have to be able to handle the metaphysical aspects, and the fact unlike Star Trek, every episode is not resolved, and tied up in a neat little bow at the end. It's very brain heavy and ponderous, and alot of thing go right past you unless watch it VERY INTENTLY. Barbara Bain, especially does alot with her eyes, people who watch passively totally miss the subtext of her performance, the inner struggle to squelch her emotional reactions in order to retain her composure and professionalism. And Victor being gone in the second season ruined it, along with the crappy change of background score. Victor's character gave an immense amount of gravitas to the show, and dare I say, was just as important as Martin and Barbara's characters.

• Members

One of my favorites was the one with the Black Sun. That one got pretty metaphysical. The pilot, Breakaway, was very good, too.

I've always had a nostalgic fondness for the show because I first saw it on tv as a kid. I was in sci-fi heaven back then because I was watching the original Star Trek reruns, Space:1999, Lost In Space, Tom Baker's incarnation of Dr. Who, The Twilight Zone...So when I had a chance to sit and revisit this series as an adult, I got the tapes. I agree with you about Barry Morse's presence. Even Paul, I thought, was a more "professional" presence than Tony, who seemed to function more as the cute heartthrob/action hero/romantic hero for Maya.

And I couldn't stand Sandra. Always thought she was so wimpy and couldn't understand how she had at least 3 romantic interests (well, one being an alien's illusion of an ex, I think!).

Archived