Prince William and Kate Middleton to marry

DRW50

• Members

It's easy to see why there's vocal anti-monarchists in the UK, given the way of the economy and the OTT nature of the Royal family. Many think they're past their relevance in British society, and I can't deny that I don't see where those people are coming from.

Barring this wedding, even by the general tabloid frenzy in the UK, the Royals seem positively B-list these days.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess the problem with "relevance" is that it changes on a dime. For instance, in the UK, today's "relevant" names are people like Katie Price, Posh and Becks, or various football stars who mostly get in the headlines for cheating on their wives. That's about it. There's a real lack of quality, just as there is in the US. The big public response to this, even with so many predicting no one would care, that this was a ridiculous waste, and so on, suggests many want to see the Windsors stay around.

I think, aside from some like Andrew, the Royals have managed to take away most of their trappings in recent years and they seem much more typical to me than they did in the 90's.

I think the Royals bring in as much money as they spend, most of them, anyway. Buckingham Palace hasn't had any serious repairs in many years and the Queen just lives with poor ventilation systems and so on, even at her age.

• Administrator

To me those people aren't real UK'ers. They want to get rid of something that is part of their history? Please. I love titles of Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, Emperors, etc. We got nothing like that in North America which sucks. LOL All we have is the "First family" and that only last 4-8 years. How boring.

• Members

I think the UK has always been a big crazy/celebrity-obsessed hub though. The tabloids there are so much more ferocious.

I think the public kind of moved on to wanting to see more damaged commoners over the past decade of so rather than caring about the Royals for some reason.

The Royals, outside of this wedding of course, don't seem to get the constant attention they used to always get in the 80's and 90's. But I guess their popularity with the public and tabloids tends to ebb and flow though.

• Members

You have to consider that the British, from my experience and living in the UK from periods of time, are generally not very patriotic people and haven't been for years. There's where they differ from Americans for example. In the US, people generally love their flag and national anthem and are proud to "be an American."

I have found that the British generally don't give a flying f.uck about those things. Personal interests come before state and symbolic interests.

• Members

I sort of disconnect the royals from the rest of the UK in my head. I have a general view of what London is and what a Londoner is (thanks, EE!), but it blows my mind that all of this pomp and regalia exists smack dab in the middle of that. It just feels out of place and almost out of touch, but I really can't hold that against the royals themselves because I'm not sure a whole lot would complain if they were allowed to live their lives as totally private citizens. Most don't seem to crave the attention that's heaped upon them, especially William and Harry, and I like that.

Nah, that's just how her face looks.

• Members

I agree, but I also think the public still cares about the Windsors. There is never going to be the Diana cult again but I think many of them are still fairly well-respected and many in the public probably need that type of distance from the misery of daily life. There's just this void when all you have to focus on are the likes of Katona or Price or football affairs.

• Members

On the Today Show they had a segment about people in New York who went to a party at 4 in the morning dressed up in their royal outfits (big hats and such) to watch the ceremony. It made me feel a little less sad for watching from home :lol:

Archived