Y&R- Week of November 15th DISCUSSION

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, that makes one of us. I think Colleen Zenk (Barbara, AS THE WORLD TURNS) is more appropriate for the role than Kelley Hensley or Maura West. But that's presuming we'd actually want a former ATWT actress in the role, and not Alex Donnelly, Susan Walters, or a "new" actress altogether.

• Members

I couldn't disagree more. I'm loving her version of Diane. I think this was the perfect time to bring the character back. Sure, it's not the same as having AD in the role, but it was never going to be. I think Diane and Abby are the best recasts this show has had in a LONG time.

• Members

Yeah...I had no idea ER was that booby.

And I know there's some thought that Maura isn't as "classy" as AD---but seriously? When the OP has a clip of Diane calling Nikki a dried up old hag and a catfight? Something tells me Diane has always been at heart, a street fighter.

• Members

Diane stole sperm, purposely threw herself under a car and committed arson, all before anyone thought of Maura West for the role. Before that she was doing a married Jack on his desk at Jabott, so really, how classy has she ever been? I don't see anything "trashy" about Diane, but she's never been above playing dirty. I do see her as an underdog, but I think that's a good thing. She's coming across much more vulnerable than she did last time around. I've liked every version of Diane, but I think after everything that happened last time, vulnerability makes her easier to root for.

• Members

Yay! Glad I'm not alone in liking Maura West as Diane. :) Cleary, though, this is not a unanimous opinion. Wonder how other boards are liking the recast?

Speaking of recasts, yes, PJ, Eden always had an impressive rack. And I think it is all natural, too. Despite those atributes, though, something about ER as Heather sends off a marked non-sexual vibe. She had more as Bianca the virginal kissing lesbian on AMC. And it's not just the sex appeal -- everything about Heather in that scene with Grambo was so trembly, like a scared little mouse. Can't believe this woman was running for DA, let alone a lawyer. Also, if I was Grambo, I'd be a bit miffed if somebody was all "I took your money but still failed to get elected. It's ALL your fault I've got no job. Whatcha gonna do about it?" Feather is deluded if she thinks Pricktor is some kind of mustachoed fairy godmother who is going to wave his magic wand and make everything all better.

I've never liked Jana -- but I liked her yesterday when she told Daisy to [!@#$%^&*] off. I don't understand this rush to adopt this psycho's spawn and am totally on Lauren and Jana's side here. Lock up that stoned freak and throw away the key! Perhaps if Giggly Heffa was kidnapped, chained and tortured, she might be more sympathetic. Instead of calling up Vance Abrams.

• Members

She's always been a mix of head & heart (which made her great).

She's an intelligent, impulsive fighter who isn't satisfied with being average that will lash out when made to feel undervalued.

Maura is still playing Carly largely cause Maria/Hogan/Hamner/Rauch have no interest in writing Diane (and never have).

They're writing random vixen WHO HAPPENS TO BE PLAYED BY Maura West which is why everything about the character has been retconned to suit existing agendas & the current canvas.

• Members

^^^I watched back in the day, but Diane never really made an impression on me one way or the other. I can only imagine the scathing reviews of her work, had SON been around back then. I believe the term "hair model" would have been used frequently. And probably correctly.

Didn't the noble Hightowers also tell Victor at one time they didn't want his "help"?

Oy vey...Jack's concern for Skye, post-revenge screw, is a little much.

• Members

I really didn't hate the scene and think Eden is much better than that ridiculous non-actress Vail Bloom. That was a train crash. And I'm glad she's gone. The role, however, is miswritten and is one of the emanations of misogyny on this show.

And so it begins... The announced overpraise of Maura West, headed for utter ruin and dismal ending as one of the most hated recasts in the history of daytime. Just like every other recast on Y&R ended up being under this regime. Pimp, pimp, pimp, then hate, hate, hate!

And I am loving the (as if) mildly to moderately drunk Eric Roberts and how much fun he seemed to show playing this sh!t during the talk with Phyllisia and Jacko. Obviously, they didn't get it and played the scene as if it were Aeschylus.

• Members

Well, it depends on the individual. I'm really liking MW, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with A. not really watching a lot of Y&R when Alex Donnelly was on and B. not having been an ATWT viewer. So Maura seems fresh to me. Susan Walters made little impression on me as well.

And unless West starts pulling a Stafford and chewing the scenery like a hungry Chewbaca on steroids, then I think I will continue liking what she brings to her performance (the writing may be another story entirely).

As for pimping, I'm just expressing my opinion, certainly not forcing people to agree with it. :)

I love Eric Roberts as Vance, too. Roberts could do this soap stuff in his sleep. Or, as the case may have been yesterday, totally high or mildly sauced. His voice is great, too.

• Members

Oh. No. Way. Would. That. Happen.

Alex Donnelly was far from a hair model and DeeDee perfectly describes the character under her more than capable hands. IMO, she's one of the best actresses to have ever graced Y&R.

HOWEVER, I'm liking Maura as Diane very much, I think she has a firm grip on the character, and I in no way see Carly anytime she appears onscreen. As I've posted before, it's a testament to her talent that she has completely distinguished Diane from her defining role of Carly. And, no, it has nothing to do with hairstyle and costuming.

• Members

Alex Donnelly's Diane was well liked (until she went under the bus for Victor/Nikki).

Same for Susan Walters was a solid (but not definitive) recast until she too went under the bus (for Giggly Heffa).

The character has been undervalued & under appreciated for years.

The only reason the character was even recast (with a star actress or not) was solely to prop Giggly Heffa.

Archived