DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think Patsy officially went on medical leave, but this was it for Patsy in 1990 except her brief 2-episode phone call in December 1990. Then she was back in February 1991.

Anne Howard played the role from March 1990-August 1990 and came back again to fill-in during summer 1991.

• Members

Did Phyllis, Linda and Melissa have much to do during that time?  Was Pat Falken Smith still head-writing at that point?  If so, I wonder if she had it in mind to use Mary's strangling as a catalyst for bringing back the Andersons.

• Members

Yeah. This was the final weeks of PFS' run.

Melissa stayed. This was around the time Mickey and Maggie finally adopted her. She also had some kind of flirtation with Gwen Davies' long lost brother. After Mary died, she left Anderson to Phyllis and Melissa. Phyllis then sold her share to Stefano and Tony and left town.

• Members

I honestly would say this is Dee's best work (I do want to make a plastic surgery joke here but will refrain).  The aftermath was chilling and her breaking down on the stand telling Don she was raped is probably the best Marlena scene ever as far as acting.  My love for Marlena rivals my love for Brenda Barrett, but I do think at times Dee was underrated.  I think her OTT portrayal of Marlena in the last 25 years underscores the fact she does have actual ability.

• Members

Agree.  I know from my years of watching that DHall is capable of a lot more than what we've seen since the mid-'90's.  But I also know that the writing after her initial return has done neither Dee nor Marlena any favors.  The Dr. Marlena Evans Black of 2022 is in no way the same Dr. Marlena Evans Brady who took on the Salem Strangler and Stefano DiMera in the '80's.

• Members

Yeah.  I am definitely not saying she's the best actress to ever be on daytime, but there was something much more subtle about her portrayal.  She has some talent.  I just think Drake almost de-elevated her or she just gave up because her and John ham it up all the time.  And I know they are milking their fanbase with their nonsense, but DH could do a lot more.  I mean I just really assume she's like [!@#$%^&*] it at this point and cashes her check.

• Members

Do you hate the Tale of 2 Romans as much as I do?  Do you feel like it went on forever and explained nothing?  Do you think making John not Roman is one of the worst mistakes Days has ever made?  Do you find Isabella unbearably obnoxious?  Probably not, but these are all the things I think of when watching that crap story.  It's like Days had gold when they got Dee and Wayne back and that was the story choice.  Plus, they just decided to not use them for about a year until Marlena decided she wanted to [!@#$%^&*] John again.  I know there is a lot of talk about just writing a soap yourself if you hate things and I am not a writer, but I legit could have crafted a better return story for two icons in the early 90's.

• Members

No, she's definitely no Charity Rahmer. 

Please register in order to view this content

DHogestyn is capable of delivering better performances as well, but I think he and Dee suffer from the same issues that plague most soap actors today: OTT writing and little (or no) direction.  Nothing will EVER save bad writing, but if you give a director more time to work with his/her actors, they can at least help them modulate their performances - here's a hint: the more OTT the writing, the smaller your performances should be - and find the emotional throughline in every scene.

Yes.

Yes.

In retrospect?  Yes.

YAAAAAAAAAS.  (But that's because I thought DHogestyn had better chemistry with Genie Francis.)

DHall made WN's return a condition of HER return, so unless they had chosen to bring him back as Roman's long-lost twin brother, I feel like the Tale of Two Romans was inevitable and unavoidable.  But, you're right, @carolineg, we could have done a MUCH better job writing it than the show did, lol.

Edited by Khan