India's Richest Man Moves Into $1 Billion Home

Sylph

• Members

<span style="font-size:105%;">I was going through a list of nouveau riche palaces, Antilia is, of course, number one, and this one

http://images.busine...au/source/4.htm

had me ohmy.giflaugh.gif!

That is, like, the Getty Villa times 200! And it's in Sagaponack, New York! OMG! The horror!

It was lambasted, of course:

http://en.wikipedia...._Rennert#Houses</span>

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, we can all agree on this one. The "house" in the OP looks ridiculous. Why on Earth would the richest man in India choose to live in a game of Jenga?

And I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. WTF are you going to do with 39 bathrooms? And 29 bedrooms? While there are people in the country living in shotgun houses and eating ham and cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's that type of inhumanity that just....ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh. Dynasty is fantasy. It's not real. That's why I can love that and eat it up and watch it all day long. But this? When it's real life? Ugh. I want to slap the people who live there.

• Members

There are so many questions I can't quite formulate this part of your post raises, I have no words. I mean, Dynasty is fantasy so I can eat it up? blink.gif If it were real, you would find it – what? Abhorring? Unacceptable? Repugnant? How does it being a fantasy negate its "evil" qualities? Furthermore, every time something like this arises, don't people always say: Boy, you have no idea – real life is much better than that, so much more eventful and unbelievable?

And as for that ham and cheese... I mean, probably some lunatic mathematician or business-school graduate can prove that a family in Louisiana is starving just because Ira Rennert amassed a fortune of $5bn (I think that's the number), but seriously?! What kind of an argument is that?! If you were Ira, what would you do? Spend $4bn to build homes for the homeless and just give them money so that they can live?

• Members

It being fantasy negates its evil qualities because when the credits roll, I know it's not real. In real life, the thought of a single family living in a 29-bedroom home makes me sick because WHAT ON EARTH DO THEY NEED 29 BEDROOMS FOR? That money could be better served helping this country than piled up in fugly and unnecessary house.

I didn't say that people are starving because he has assloads of money. I said that people are starving while he has assloads of money.

If I were him, I'd realize that there are more important things that my money could go to than obnoxiously showing off the fact that I have money. Donate to education. Donate to medicine. Donate to the political campaign of your choice. Donate to orphans. If you don't trust other charities, start your own. Do something productive with it!

My mindset is different. I don't hate wealth. I love a big fancy house with all of the trimmings, but there is such a thing as being terribly and severely over the top. I think the Manor is pretty, but I still think it's unnecessary and ridiculous.

I mean...how "needing" a 29-bedroom house is not a tell-tale sign of some kind of mental illness is a mystery to me. Just like his daughters both "needed" apartments worth 30 mil. Ridiculous. Help society, damn it.

• Members

Amen an hail Mary to all of that!!!! He could have donated some of his jenga house money to cancer research... and who knows, he might have played a part in saving his OWN LIFE one day, but hell... we'll never know. I don't hate wealth, either... but I could NEVER look myself in the mirror if I had that much money and kept it all to myself. I would go the route of donation to medical research, myself. Of course... keep in mind, I consider 100,000$ a year rich.

• Members

He has $5 billion dollars. With that he can build this sprawling mansion or whatever it is and donate. I'm not sure he didn't do it. His wife surely must be involved in some charities. I know they've donated $5 million to establish the Wiesel Center for Judaic Studies and have contributed substantial amounts to help build something in the Fifth Avenue Synagogue. Yes, that is not the same as medical research, I know. I mean, I don't want to sound as if I'm defending him, he was sued for poisoning some kids with lead, I think, among other things, and yes, I think having 29 bathrooms is ridiculous. But it is his choice and he is entitled to it, he isn't the first one to do so. They don't need it, they just can pay for both that and Fifth Avenue apartments.

As much as it's terrible to say, but the fact that some are starving while he is rich is just a ridiculous kind of statement. Ridiculous not because it's not true but because it just stands there, barren and cliched, unable to provoke any sort of positive action. I mean, now what? Now that we've established that fact? Sure, it would be fabulous if he could make all the people in the world happy and all that, but it's not you call, it's not my call. I don't want to frustrate myself by being mildly or moderately annoyed by the fact that he has 29 bathrooms but hasn't donated to the charities or research I think he should have. I have no time nor will to judge, especially since we don't know how much he donated or didn't. It's a whole different issue when you consider the fact that there are philosophers today in the world who think charity and donations are a very important, almost integral part of capitalist society and they have very little to do with a desire to do good (but with the desire to earn etc.). World isn't headed towards doctors curing every disease: if people lived 200 years or forever, imagine the mess this planet would be in. The lack of food, water, energy, resources, space. It can't sustain 10, 20, 30 billion people.

Perfect happiness, and for everyone, is a very noble pursuit, but sadly an unsustainable and unachievable one. Social justice and promoting some good, eternal values is a way to go, but only if you have realistic goals.

Anyway, here's a photo of the entrance to the mansion and one of Ira and his wife:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704164904575421582503559338.html?KEYWORDS=hamptons

• Members

Of course, you know me..... I have the time, and the will to judge every damn body. :lol: When me and my best friend are shooting the breeze on the phone, and I go into my judgemental tirades, he'll just say..."Don't give me that BREATH" (when I do an exasperated sigh) and then it's "Un-purse those lips!!" :P

Archived