I need your help and input for a project

edgeofnight

• Members

I was laid up with my medical problems over the weekend, so, this is the first time I have had to see your 'updated' goodies...it just proves my theory how Fandom has evolved and grown over the years. Thank you. I will go over them, more thoroughly, when I am feeling better. Thank you ever so much.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm glad you're feeling well enough to post -- most of these I scan and put on when I find them, as I tend to misplace things, so don't feel like you need to see them as soon as I post them. Just as long as you eventually get to see them then I hope it can help your project.

I don't know if you are interested but I also have a Weekly interview with the woman who did a lot of the soap fan things in the 80s and 90s -- it's more about her life than about fandom, so I wasn't sure if you would be interested. It's a few questions. They named her as one of their 25 most interesting people.

• Members

Sorry I have been away from the board for a few days...I worked on the polls on Tuesday as an Election Inspector, along with my wife. Between the two of us, we have 58 years experience working on the polls. It was a long and exhausting day...a little over 500 people voted (55% turn-out) in my district. On the way home, though, I got sick, and have been resting and have since been trying to recuperate from it all. All of this looks utterly fascinating. I hope to set aside some time on Saturday to go over it all thoroughly. Many, many thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have submitted my proposal for my presentation this morning (it was due Dec. 15). I can't thank you enough for all of your help. I will let you know if my proposal is accepted. Don't take this thread down, because I will need to refer to it, if I am given the green light to pursue my presentation by the American Popular Culture Association.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Fantastic News: I have just received word that my proposal has been accepted for the American Popular Culture Association's annual conference in San Antonio in mid-April. I can not thank all fo you enough for your help and encouragement. Now, the real work begins, as I begin to fully draft my presentation. Again, I will need to call upon your treasure trove of memories to assist me in putting this all together. Many thanks!

• Members

All of you are inspiring me, and despite my ill health, I am charging ahead in putting my presentation together on 'The History of Soap Fan-dom' before the American Popular Culture Association's annual conference in mid-April in San Antonio, Texas.

My big news today is that I have just written to a former daytime star in the hopes of interviewing him for my presentation. But, more immediately, I will be interviewing him for my new hyper-local newspaper website. The gentleman, in question, is the VP of a successful Home Improvement Services shop in the area (Daytime's answer to Tim Allen!)...I am speaking of Kurt McKinney (formerly of GL and ATWT and currently on the web soap Steamboat)

I hope to interview him, first, to do a profile of his business, and then, as part of my series of articles of 'Notable Residents of the Past or Present.' Alrady, I have done articles on the late Pulitzer Prize winning author John Cheever (1912-1982) and screenwriter Dashiell Hammett, as next week is the 50th anniversary of his death. McKinney's birthday is mid-February...(he'll be 49). So, I thought I could do an article entitled "The 1,001 Lives of Kurt McKinney."

• Members

That sounds great. I'm sure you'll ask him a lot of great questions. I'd love to hear his thoughts on the last years of GL, especially the way Matt was still there but barely a presence by the end (I think he was one of the few who didn't even have an ending - it might have been dating some bit player).

Archived