I need your help and input for a project

edgeofnight

• Members

Thanks. That's interesting she played a tough role. She always had that toughness in her acting. She said she wanted to play a nastier role after her last AW run, which she did, on Loving. I guess she started and ended in soaps with harder roles.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, this is fabulous! I didn't know there was a fan club gathering going all the way back to 1976! This has the makings of a very successful proposal for me to submit for my presentation. Thank you! Do you want to come with me to San Antonio, if my proposal is accepted and i give my presentation?

• Members

That's very kind of you, but I'm not going to be able to go anywhere for a long time, I'm having to move stuff and also helping take care of someone. I just hope you will give us a great report on the presentation and any soap fans or actors you might meet. What you're doing is great, it's keeping soaps alive, the best of soaps.

I have some other stuff I'll try to find and post. Some of the issues also have listings of fan clubs for actors, but I didn't scan that as I didn't think I should give the names and addresses, even if they are over 30 years old. If it would help you I can give you the names of some of the actors who had fan clubs then. Like one of the 1976 or 1977 issues has an item about Jeanne Cooper finally agreeing to an official fan club (I think it was called JEANNE).

• Members

I just received my first response from a soap vet...Mariann Aalda, who played Didi Bannister on 'The Edge of night,' and who is doing an updated blog version of 'Edge' called 'Eye on Monticello.'

Here is what she had to say...

In response to your question...

Fans are to soap operas what jelly is to a peanut butter sandwich...I can't imagine one without the other.

While it's possible to have a plain old peanut butter sandwich without the jelly (or honey or jam, if you prefer :-), it wouldn't be quite as tasty...or as sweet.

Actors can't exist in a vacuum; we need an audience. Fan feedback tells us how we're doing our job of entertaining and storytelling...and how we can do it better.

Hope this helps!

Mariann

Archived