Moonves: "Now, there is nothing that Katie Couric is saying that everybody doesn’t know already."

bellcurve

• Members

https://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/cbs-ceo-les-moonves-talks-candidly-about-the-future-of-broadcast-news-katie-courics-contract_b33916

CBS CEO Les Moonves spoke at the University of Texas Monday, where he accepted an award and addressed students.

While there, he commented candidly on the future of broadcast journalism, and the nightly newscasts in particular.

Among other things, Moonves said that the format of the nightly evening newscasts needs to change–and it will happen sooner rather than later.

He said that he could see the evening newscasts structured more like ABC’s “Nightline,” with an in-depth look at one or two subjects, or like the Sunday morning shows, with a round-table of panelists.

Why change them? It is too expensive to support the newscasts as it stands now, and by the time 6:30 PM rolls around, potential viewers already know the days news.

“People are getting the news elsewhere,” he said. “When there were only three networks, you did have that public service component, where we were informing America. Now, there is nothing that Katie Couric is saying that everybody doesn’t know already.”

He also talked about Couric’s nearly $40 million contract:

“The Katie Couric deal will be the last big deal of that kind ever done. … Those days are over, because the news no longer generates the kind of revenue or success that’s worth doing [those contracts].”

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he has a point, but I also think that the news broadcasts of old could have survived if they did not hire such fake, shallow people as anchors, like Katie Couric and Brian Williams. They ooze faux-sincerity and are so desperate to condescend to viewers. The conservative viewers they crave are not interested, the liberal viewers are repulsed, and the mainstream viewers think it's all fake.

• Members

She's also been in the news business for a long time, primetime news, so people know her.

I guess Brian Williams counts as a success but I just have no use for him and his pandering and biases.

I never will understand why CBS thought hiring Katie was a great idea. She lost most of her charm a long time ago and has never done anything major outside of morning TV.

• Members

I was rather fond of Brokaw. Hell, even Rather was better than the hacks we have today.

I personally wish CBS would replace Katie with Uncle Bob. Uncle Bob was so awesome when he was interim after Dan Rather left in disgrace. He even raised the ratings!

• Members

I liked Brokaw, too. Rather always came across as thisclose to have a rant on air, like there was this anger he was trying to suppress. But I can't deny he *WAS* CBS Evening News for 30 years.

Whenever anybody refers to Katie Couric as a "journalist," I have to laugh. Cronkite was a journalist. Bubba Wubba was a journalist. Andrea Mitchell is a journalist. Couric is barely an anchorwoman. She's a spokesmodel. A spokesmodel that somebody in PR felt would appeal to "middle America."

Bob Schieffer? He's awesome. But no doubt some yahoo at CBS doesn't feel he appeals to the youth demos.

• Members

I also liked Brokaw. And he was pretty easy on the eyes as well. But he was good on the today show as well as anchoring the news. Katie Couric IS a joke. They seemed to think she was Jane Pauley for the next generation, but they TOTALLY overestimated Couric's appeal:

Doesn't 70's Brokaw kind of remind you of Anderson Cooper? Just something about the way he speaks and carries himself.

• Members

Face the Nation is #2 in demos, households, and total viewers. I think people trust Uncle Bob and have for years.

If Andy Rooney were ever to leave us(and I hope he doesn't), Uncle Bob would be great delivering a final thought on 60 Minutes. He's not nearly as cantankerous as Andy Rooney, but he's just as engaging. :)

• Members

Brokaw's voice was made for broadcast journalism. It's so refreshing to see somebody deliver the news in a factual, clear way without all the "look at me!" mannerisms and editorializing that passes for newsanchorship today. And Jane Pauley was a proper, respected journalist, too, every bit Tom's equal. LOL at the frankly awesome background music and the headlines regarding whether children should be branded legitimate or illegitimate on their birth certificates. God bless the 70s.

"Women in White. A sizzling miniseries. Thursday at 9 on NBC." Love it!

alphanguy, did you hear that Anderson Cooper is recording a pilot talk show as a timeslow rival to The View and The Talk? Possibly on NBC?

I *love* Bob S and I can only hope that CBS don't start getting hung up on that 12-19 year old girls demo and start sniffing around Justin Bieber to host Face the Nation and Sing.

• Members

Yes, I heard about Anderson's pilot... It will be interesting to see. He's not exactly a font of personality, I wonder if he'll be able to carry a show that's not based on hard news. But it may be that his personality is just not showing in what he's done up to now. It will remain to be seen. I remember watching the Supertrain premiere.. it was a cool concept, and something for an 11 year old kid to get really excited about, but BOY did it lay an egg. And I don't think I watched the second episode. But luckily, Knots Landing came along a few months after that and gave me something to keep me riveted for the next 14 years. NBC was really CRAP during that period in their history, and was a joke among TV viewers, especially after CBS hd just come off a stellar decade filled with Programs prdoced by MTM and Norman Lear, I think I only watched BJ and the Bear at this time on NBC.. luckliy in a year or two, NBC would make a comeback with some great sitcoms. But back to Anderson, I was stunned to find out he's only 18 months older than me.. that hair makes him look SO much older. And I don't see much hope for Katie Couric when her contract is up. I still watch nightly news, and LOVE nightline... and am thankful that I can get KMIZ ABC-17 reliably at night since the digital transition, so I can see Nightline at 10:30 PM, instead of 12:30 AM that I had been stuck with in the past from KMBC in Kansas City. And when it comes to the nightly news, I'm sorry, but Diane Sawyer just annihalates any other competition in my mind. She speaks with dignity, knowledge, authority... she asks questions that I want answers to. No other anchor on television today can compare to her. She's as good as Cronkite, IMO. I loved Barbara Walters, too.. but my problem with Barbara, is that she never seemed to ask the RIGHT questions. I see what everybody means about Couric appearing "fake"... Jane Pauley came across as a genuine personality and a true journalist. Couric is just the "Corky Sherwood" of network news. And for the love of God... did you all hear about Hasselbeck getting a new stint on GMA? Man... ABC it great in the eveningsm but total CRAP in the mornings.

• Members

If Hasselback were a left-wing loudmouth, I would STILL say the same thing: her kind of tearful, emotional editorializing has NO place on a news show, whether it is GMA or the 6.30pm network news. The View is different because it actively draws out different opinions. But I don't want that woman yapping her "cunvicshuns" at me first thing in the morning. I don't want her screaming and crying every time her co-anchorperson or interviewee questions her reasoning. Even if she had more than one braincell to rub together, i still wouldn't want to know her opinion. I liked the fact that I could never guess Jane Pauley, Walter Cronkite and Tom Brokaw's political leanings back in the day. I'm still not sure about Diane Sawyer or Barbara Walters. I'm guessing most journalists on the Big 3 networks lean more towards the Democrats, but who knows? I just want them to present me with a couple of facts, maybe an interview or two, and let me make up my mind as far as it is possible to do so in this heavily-controlled, corporate-dominated infotainment universe.

As for Anderson Cooper (yummy, though I know he's lost to the female sex, sigh), I think he should plenty of personality when he subbed in for Regis with Kelly Whatshername. He dissed Dina and Ali Lohan -- fist pump -- and has the most adorable little giggle. Pair him up with a brainy fag hag and maybe some hot male ass and you've got an Anderson Cooper talk show, as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait til he interviews Dina LoBitch. Let that inner attack dog out, Andy!

• Members

That would be a good idea for a premise for Anderson's show. He might have an inner bad boy just waiting to get out, there *have* been the occasional rumors of recreational drug use and him doing anyhting with a dick.... but who knows if that's true. It will definately be something i'll want to check out.

Archived