As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

All those old SOD articles from the 90s make me sad. Thanks for posting those! :) One of my favorite forgotten ATWT stories from the '90s was the Janice Maxwell story. Deliciously psycho!

Connie Wilson if I recall right was James Stenbeck's mistress who then ended up being murdered. Other than that fact I don't know. Was she related to Sandy Wilson?

I really wish Betsy Stewart had been brought back in the 90s permanently.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks for reading them, and answering my question.

I LOVED Janice! She was a great psycho, and Holly Cate was so good. It helped that she hated Lily and at the time I wasn't a big fan either.

I have a short interview with her in one of the Digests. I'll post it when I can find it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This appeared in the 6/16/99 issue of Soap Opera News about Goutman's impending arrival. Though I don't necessarily agree with the writer's perceptions of ATWT at the time, I can somewhat relate as who had mixed feelings at the time--one being sorrow over AW's cancellation, the other being the rumored uproar of "AW taking over ATWT" with the crossovers of Jake and Vicky as well as (very briefly) Cass and Lila in addition to ATWT moving into AW's old studios, not to mention Goutman and Laiman going from AW to ATWT as well.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Hmm...not too sure on those. From what I saw of FMB's last year, there was generally not a lot of good acting from most of the more recent hires. The ratings were up, but FMB was a demo casualty.

They were right about the vets not being used, although thankfully at least Liz came back...she sat around for a decade before finally being used again, but at least she was there. I never understood why she was run off that way under FMB. I think that was the glaring example of FMB not really getting ATWT.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

August 25, 1987 Digest (Network Publishing Co.). Cover/interview with Bill Fichtner (also on the cover is the underrated Lindsay Frost -- still wish ATWT had kept her around, Betsy was a very important part of the Oakdale fabric).

10-26-2010061127AM4.jpg

10-26-2010061127AM2.jpg

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Sheila was the maid and possible love interest for Tom,but when the Dobsons arrived,I think some past with Steve was created but then she was dropped.

Doug was involved with Annie and his estranged wife Marcia had a past with Dr Jeff Ward,who also had designs on Annie.So a Doug/Annie/Jeff/Marcia story played out thru 79.

• Members

Thanks. I couldn't remember which was to be paired with Tom. Was Sheila in prison at one point or was that Marcia?

That quad sounds like something the Dobsons would have done, but apparently they weren't into it.

I have an interview with the woman who played Marcia, I'll try to post it in a few days.

• Members

I adore the funky groovy 1976 As the World Turns logo. Over the last decade, with retro so in style, Goutman would have been smart to use a modified version of this for the show's title card. Young people would have seen it as fresh, funky and older fans would have had acid trip flash backs. ATWT had such a rich history but Goutman never brought back any blasts from the past or even their children. Fans are forgiving when it comes to recasts and there was so much potential in the show's history. I never realized how radically Marland revamped the show and, in the process, eliminated characters and entire families. I would have rather watched an extended Stuart family or even the McColls as opposed to the sappy Snyder clan.

• Members

I agree with you about the Stewarts, but I don't think Marland had much to do with eliminating the McColls. Diana was gone by the time he took over. They asked Cris Leblanc to stay on as Kirk but he said no. Whit was long gone. That only left Jay and Brian, and neither one of them were that interesting.