Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You ever have one of those times when something a character says just flashes in your mind? I just had one of those moments.

Elizabeth Hubbard is so great in all her hysterics in this sequence where Lucinda is with her lawyer Ambrose discussing what she is going to do to avoid being blackmailed. When she says "... they're going to split the 3 million dollars and go on their merry wayyy!" It sent me! 

Please register in order to view this content

Just the inflection of that sentence, I wondered how La Hubbard came by that choice to express that snippet of dialogue in that fashion.

https://youtu.be/ql2U79o7TOs

• Members

apologies for my delayed response. i mentioned gender because it very much applied to my own situation. when i told my parents that i wanted to major in english, my father responded, ‘you’re a girl. college is a waste. you can be a  secretary until you get married.’ my response: i refused to learn how to type.

while jessica’s family may not have addressed gender explicitly, i do think it was an issue to some degree, particularly with her brother, lamar. 

re irna and her obsession with keeping actors tethered to their roles: not so much p&g’s interference (though there was plenty of that), but something the late soap journalist, robert laguardia observed: “it was quite as if for irna, oakdale was a real place — far more real than new york or chicago — and far better.”

here’s a link to an article that considers irna’s emotional connection to ‘world turns:

https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2013/01/vita-irna-phillips

Edited by wonderwoman1951