As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Another 1993 episode is being uploaded.

I was never a fan of Andy and Courtney but they were kind of cute at this time.

Lisa's hair and clothes seemed to be better around this point.

The man at the end is Hans, right? I think it's Hans. Hans was so chilling.

I never knew Rebecca Hollen was on ATWT at this point. Who was she playing? In the late 70's she'd played Tina, who had story with Grant and Lisa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP24N1GVc9E

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Rebecca Hollen played the wife of one of Duncan's friends who'd been killed suspiciously. It linked into a story where Andy and Courtney were caught in a car bombing (I think it was in England) and led to their breakup as well as Duncan investigating Kingsley-Malta and Damian.

• Members

Andy and Courtney a lot more believe than Andy and Denise! (It was a great twist, but I felt it.) On a side note, as we're a week away from Thanksgiving, I think about all the wonderful day-before Thanksgiving ATWT episodes. I don't think any show did them better. (Even Dr. John faking his death on that day in 1982 was a classic cliffhanger.)

• Members

9/28/93 Digest. Carolyn Hinsey reviews ATWT.

Acting A-

Stories B

Romance B-

Humor C

Families A

AS THE WORLD TURNS lost its beloved head writer, Douglas Marland, last March. It might seem unfair to critique the show a scant six months later with a still-reeling cast and new head writers, but daytime marches on.

There's a lot right with ATWT these days. The Holden/Iva story has been building for two years and is certainly timely, with all the custody battles in the news. Pitting brother against sister when brother has no memory is a new twist on this tale. Holden (Jon Hensley) understandably wants to play an active role in his newly discovered son's life, and seems bent on revenge against the whole Snyder clan (poor Emma) for keeping Aaron's paternity a secret. So far, this volatile family battle ha s been engrossing, and it looks like there's a lot more story to play.

Mac's Alzheimer's story is also unusual for daytime, and it's a fine way to educate viewers about a difficult disease. That scene between Nancy (Helen Wagner) and Bob (Don Hastings) talking about Mac not wanting to wear an I.D. bracelet was especially poignant. Can't ATWT come up with something for the talented Hastings to do besides playing wise old Dr. Bob all the t? (Remember his steamy affair with Susan?) The lion's share of the show's recapping is put on Bob and Kim (Kathryn Hays) as they sip lemonade in the backyard ("Did you hear about Lily?) and these actors deserve better. Kim's increased work at the TV station is a good sign, and the All About Eve story with Janice (Holly Cate) looks promising.

Lately, scenes between Emily and Susan have been excellent. Kelley Menighan has come into her own, and it's high time the excellent Marie Masters (Susan) and some scenery to chew. Emily donating an egg for Susan's in vitro, combined with Royce's (Terry Lester) saga, gives both actresses plenty.

To be honest, Royce's arrest for Neal's murder was most provocative because of its effect on the accused's fiancee, Emily, and his new half sister, Lucinda (talented Elizabeth Hubbard) - but not because of what it did to Royce. The guy is just too new and unsympathetic to make viewers care about what happens to him. Sad but true: Neal was the one who touched viewer's hearts. Although Lester milks Royce's trauma for all it's worth, in the final analysis, it doesn't much matter to the audience.

Glynnis O'Connor had her work cut out for her when she took over the pivotal role of Margo Hughes from the high-energy Ellen Dolan. O'Connor slowly seems to be making the role her own, but, as yet, she has not made much of an impact. This is not entirely the fault of the actress - her storyline has consisted of arresting people and making phone calls. And poor Scott Holmes has watched Tom Hughes go from vital district attorney to recapper extraordinaire. "Any word from Scott?" and "Are you going to arrest Royce?" has been the extent of his dialogue.

In fact, too many stories and characters are muddying the waters at present. By using people sporadically, the writers are forced to identify them. That slows the action. Lyla has to say, "Where's my daughter Margo?" Emily says, "Thanks for the phone call, Gram," to Ellen. Even Tom had a line to Margo, "As district attorney, I have to deal in facts." Like his own wife doesn't know he is the DA? All the recapping drags down the scenes, and this show has too many good stories to tell to allow that to happen. Any combination of Lucinda, Kirk, Connor, Cal, Duncan, Jessica, Courtney, Andy, Larry, Julie or Caleb would make for spellbinding storytelling. Too bad ATWT is only an hour long.

For example, crusading black lawyer Jessica (Tamara Tunie) is married to white newspaper publish Duncan (Michael Swan). Her no-talent brother Lamar (Michael Genet) is messing things up at Duncan's paper, The Argus. What do you say to your wife when her brother turns out to be the worst employee you have? This is a back-burner story, but entertaining nonetheless. The take-charge Tunie energizes any scene just by walking into the police station and bellowing, "Where's my client?" Luckily, it appears that both Duncan and Jessica may soon have more to do. Some guy at a bar recently exclaimed, "I never thought Duncan would get over Shannon until you, Jessica." Hmmm. Is this a not-so-subtle clue that Duncan's late wife will be rising from the dead?

A vital part of the Oakdale scene is stunning fashion designer Barbara (Colleen Zenk Pinter), whose husband, Hal (Ben Hendrickson), made a welcome return from the dead a few months back. Still, I've missed those trademark scenes between Barbara and Lisa (Eileen Fulton).

There's a very titillating triangle brewing between Holden, Lily (Martha Byrne) and Damian (Paolo Seganti). Lily's sexy new Italian husband is obviously keeping more than a few secrets from his bride. Perfectly placed flashbacks of Lily and Holden swimming in the Snyder pond help remind Lily (and us) of the love they shared. Could Holden really have forgotten that?

How will ATWT make room in the crowded cast for the return of popular Scott Bryce as Craig Montgomery? Since he's Lyla's son, Margo's brother and Lucinda's ex-fling, there's an important place for Craig. This may just give the under-used Hubbard something to do, but clearly, someone will have to leave town to make space for Craig.

Overall, ATWT is in a period of transition. As Marland's stories play out, it will be exciting to see what the new team has planned for this classic serial. No matter which way they go, our hunch is that AS THE WORLD TURNS will always be a cherished hour with old friends. Who wouldn't welcome that?

• Members

Kathryn/Kim seemed to have a little array of different hairstyles in the 70s. The one there is kinda similar to the one she had in the (too short) clip of her and John getting a divorce in '76. But then in the clip that saynotoursoap posted from about a year earlier with her and Jennifer, she has a fairly large 'do that goes to her shoulders. But then I've also seen 70s era pictures of her with her iconic 80s-90s hairstyle.

Did she ever have any work done? Something changed about her face between 1976 and 1981.

• Members

This episode has some more glimpses of the fallout of the Adam paternity lie. We seem to be moving backwards towards that date, so hopefully we'll get it at some point. It's rare to see Nancy and Barbara have a scene on their own. Lisa disagreeing openly with Nancy is even more rare - too bad the scene wasn't carried further.

More filling in on the exits of the Franklins. Too bad they didn't do more with Nella.

Lucinda buzzing around in every story, as she always did at her best.

Hal's father comes across so malevolently in his first scene - you only see his head, the rest of him is in darkness. It's very good.

The best parts for me involved Ellen and David. This is the closest to a story Ellen had in the later years. It's great to see Pat Bruder and Henderson Forsythe getting a chance to really act. And mentions of Judge Lowell, and even Ellen's father. Probably the last mentions of them. I guess they thought it would be easier if they implied that Ellen and David met young and fell in love and had kids, instead of mentioning that he was already married, had a child with his wife, his wife then died, eventually he and Ellen married.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfgPAaotJao