All: Least talked about eras

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:lol::lol: And the thing is, I literally sat in front of that huge box and flipped through every single one of those magazines tearing out articles/pictures that I liked, but since the bulk of the magazines were from the late '90s/early '00s, they just didn't seem "special" enough to keep at the time. I think the oldest one we had was a '91/'92 SOD with Kristina Wagner on the cover and a small pic of Beverlee McKinsey, VI and KS (I kept this one as it was the oldest). It was a prelude to GL's big anniversary issue I'm assuming as there are a lot of GL articles inside. I kept some nice stuff though and I'm gonna take your lead and post some of it for others to enjoy.

From what I remember of PB, she was the most neurotic, unsettled Isabelle. She seemed kind of like Big Mama in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, you could buy that she was maybe a little off. Dabney and Holm never had that kind of quality, then again, Pat was playing the aftermath of Isabelle having her face burned off. I've mentioned this before, but I'll never forget sitting at the foot of my mother's bed as she watched and snarked that Isabelle's face in the portrait had changed yet again. She really didn't last long though.

I'm having a hard time even remembering him in scenes with Bianca. He was mostly with Lily, right?

• Members

Thanks for telling me more about Pat Barry's Isabelle. Isabelle went through so much yet scented candles did her in.

There were, what, three Isabelles?

And yeah you should post the stuff, we'd enjoy it. I have a lot of late 90s/early 00's soap stuff but not as much from earlier. I always enjoy stuff from before I was really watching soaps I guess because I can just assume everything then was fantastic.

• Members

Three, four if you include Meg Mundy but I don't know if she even made it past the pilot movie. She'd aged by the time she was playing Gillian's grandmother on AMC, but back in the Loving movie she looked more like Ann's sister than her mother.

• Members

I loved both Augusta and Celeste Holm (talk about Broadway royalty!) as Isabelle. I admit as a kid, I think I loved Loving being my "second soap" because it was SO little known. NOBODY I knew had heard of it, SOD barely included it in any of their articles by then, even on the network it aired where Cindi Rhineheart had a 20 minute soap recap segment on a Seattle talk show, I remember her bringing Loving up *once*. So as a 12 year old that felt kinda cool to me lol, I was kinda snobby too :P But I di dhonestly love it--and from 92 on I think ti just got better and better, overall.

• Members

I think one reason I liked Larkin as Clay (and I didn;'t really know him as Travis at that time) is I found him much more handsome--so not necesarily the best of reasons :blush:

I alwyas found Benard so appealing and charming as Nico, it's hard to believe he's become one of my most hated actors and characters on soaps...

• Members

Another World, 1981-83, after the ill-fated 90-minuted expansion. It became a completely different show under the pen of headwriter Corinne Jacker. She introduced an influx of new characters, including the strongest African-American presence I've ever seen on a show, led by Oscar-winner Howard Rollins. I really disliked her work, but I always thought it was a worthy topic of discussion ... yet I've never seen it talked about anywhere.

• Members

I guess it's because we know so little about that time, unless we were watching during that era. I have seen some of 1983 on and of 1980 but not any of Jacker. I think I did see a little of the stuff when the Todd son was causing trouble -- I guess that was Jacker?

• Members

Thanks. I think I might have been wrong about the son being a Todd. Did Bob have a son?

How long did Henrietta last after Jacker left? From the little I've seen of Henrietta she was a very interesting actress.

Poor Julia Shearer. That character sort of summed up the folly of AW, in just randomly killing so many characters.

• Members

DAYS

In the very early nineties we had Scott Banning played by Rick Hearst, a new Melissa and a grown up Sarah Horton. I can't believe they left nothing behind. That was the period with Roberta Leighton playing Shannon Sturges' mother, J.Eddie Peck and Michael Easton playing brothers.

Every soupercouple of the eighties was gone by that time and the show had no idea where to go. Rojohn and Isabella, Jack and Jennifer and Bo with Carly carried DAYS during that period.

Another forgotten DAYS era are the the years after Bill Bell left and before the supercouples took over in the mid-eighties.

Y&R

1980-84

Archived