All: Least talked about eras

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember this sort of well. Julie happened to come home just as Ross raped Natalie, saw it and ran away. Then Palmer saw either it or the aftermath and threw Ross and/or Natalie out. Julie then decided she had to run away to NY and her birth mother ran after her and promptly fell down a flight of stairs.

and then if that wasn't enough while all this was going on Mark just showed up to tell Ellen or somebody he had a drug habit or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was just going from scene to scene where nothing good was happening to anyone in this one family.

This is when Julie ran to NY and met Maurice Benard I think, and they introduced a new uber-villain Creed Kelly. I think her mother lingered in the hospital for a while and poor Ellen suffered so much. Natalie obviously, especially with a sympathetic husband like Palmer. :lol:

• Members

If anything I would say for sure 1989, the year the bottom fell out with Days' ratings has been entirely forgotten by everybody besides a sole Steve and Kayla fanatic who has recurring nightmares of Marina Toscano. ^_^

I would mention the McTavish era on GL but that's half and half really.

• Members

For bad or good, mostly bad, I don't know if anyone can forget the McTavish era of GL. The start had some of the show's biggest buzz in years, thanks to Brent/Marian, then everything became pure hell, with some just nightmarish stories which offended many fans.

Julie had written about the rape.

I didn't know AMC had gone to #1 at this time. I just mostly remember hearing about some of their struggles and the cast clearouts, and then hearing about some of the low points, like 1986.

• Members

Late 80s AMC really is hard to find a lot of information about, as far as episodes on YT, forget about it. I was always hoping HamiltonBernique would add some stuff from Billy Clyde's last storyline, Jack's first appearance, etc, but I think his AMC stuff stops ca. '85-86.

There is a week's worth of episodes on, but I've never gotten myself to watch them because they include scenes of Cliff and some chicklet in some sort of sweaty rainforest or something. I don't know...definitely not my type of AMC.

• Members

Yeah, that was Cliff's back from the dead story, I have memories of him in the jngle with that scraggly beard. This is when I remember Angie and young Frankie when he was buddies with Bobby Warner, they were like 5th/6th graders. There was of course Julie and Charlie, then Nico, then Nico and Cecily... You had Natalie and Ross/Palmer, the rape, Jeremy drama and Silver's accidental murder (Goldie and Dr. Lazarre, Silver hypnotized to kill Erica prior to that), Dixie and Will's intro, Mr. U. trying to take out Palmer so he could get to Opal, Natalie and Adam then Trevor and of course Janet... I guess this is latest '80s/early '90s at this point with Tom and Livia and Terrence and Taylor, Lucas is Terrence's dad, Derek and Mimi...

• Members

Yes, a lot of those characters are the ones you hear about a little bit but I've never really seen them, not even short clips. Cindy, Nico, Cecily, Emily Ann, Julie, late 80s Charlie, David, Melanie, Craig, Brian, early Hayley, early Skye, early Jack/Barbara/Travis, etc. And of course, wasn't the founding of Enchantment (which I miss and needs to be back) in that period?

• Members

I think that's mostly known for bringing back the original Pat and Delia, having Kate Mulgrew appear as Mary in a dream, and then the Charlotte Greer story. Unfortunately ratings were not good enough for ABC so they fired them and brought the big changes in.

RH from 85-86 or so is what I wonder about.

• Members

Yes indeed, Enchantment and Bianca's birth and Eric Kane. I remember the episode where Erica found a handprint in clay that she had made as a little girl outside the front door of Linden. She swore up and down that she remembered making it and I can't remember if it was Mona or Travis who was there with her having their doubts, but this was after she'd seen Barney the Clown and believed Eric was back in town slowly and secretly trying to get back into her life.

And how could I forget Donna and Benny trying to protect Emily Anne from Billy Clyde, and of course Emily Ann getting involved with Joey and going crazy, I always thought the 2nd An-Li, Lindsay Price, looked like an asian version of Emily Ann.

These were good years, they SHOULD be talked about more.

• Members

When I think of OLTL it's interesting that I can think of a lot of years going back to 1985 or so when people were talking about the show. People have debated about the show and loved or hated the Rauch years, aside from perhaps 1990, which isn't talked about that much. Then 1991 was the end of Rauch and the start of Gauttlieb/Malone, which were acclaimed and have since been heavily analyzed and debated. Then 1996 was sort of a dull year, but 1997 was when Tea started and they had the big story with baby Brendan which has generated a lot of talk and is still used in the storyline today. 1998 was when JFP took over and her years were extremely talked about, and IMO, disastrous. That's been the pattern with OLTL ever since, big periods of hype and then decline and derision, from Tomlin, to Malone's return, to Higley, now to Carlivati.

I notice that a lot of us didn't mention any least talked about eras from the 00s. I wonder if that's because the soaps of these years are talked about with the advent of message boards or because it's still too fresh.

Archived