HBO in ruin?

Sylph

• Members

How many times do they repeat the same flicks? I think "The Incredible Hulk" might be on today. Right now. Followed by "V for Vendetta" and whatever new flick has premiered. They show no older flicks or no classic flicks. Just the same stuff for an expensive price.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You are all completely nuts. HBO has had Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Wire, Da Ali G Show, Real Time with Bill Maher... and they're doing a second season of Treme, which is completely worth it. Who gives a crap about the movies they air when they have Treme?

• Members

Hm, yeah, that's what it was until they became the premier channel for one-hour dramas. ;]

I'm not saying HBO is perfect, but I think the good consistently outweighs the bad. I'm saying a show like Treme completely overshadows the movies.

Remember when AMC was a real movie network? I was pissed when they added commercials and began censoring the non-classic movies they were suddenly airing. After a few years of mediocrity, I no longer care, because their original programming makes up for it.

• Members

But it's not like that's the reason most people subscribe these days. The name was coined 30 years ago and is basically irrelevant at this point. I imagine they keep it for the sake of brand recognition, but at this point, no one waits to watch movies on TV. OK, almost no one. People download them for free or watch on Netflix. I can't even remember the last time I bothered to watch a movie live on HBO.

At least when it comes to their original programming they have a certain level of control over when other outlets can deliver the product. Anyone who wants to be the first to see a "hot" show has to subscribe. But with the economy the way it is, how many people really feel the need to be the first to see the most recent TrueBlood? I know I wouldn't bother except my cable company offered me 12 months of Showtime/HBO for free when I went to cancel. Makes you wonder.

To the person who asked how much HBO costs, it varies widely. I think if there is no discount its about $12-$15 a month.

• Members

That's by itself. As Alphan says, HBO has a bunch of sub channels that are a part of the deal. Plus you get access to OnDemand. There are a bunch of deals out there to if you go looking. Like I said, BrightHouse gave me 12 months of free HBO/Showtime, just so I wouldn't cancel. Makes me think they are desperate to keep their subscriber numbers up. Last I knew Showtime was also offering a cashback deal to new subscribers. laugh.gif

• Members

I work for a cable company and Time Warner (who owns the network) is overpricing HBO, any recent contract renewals between local cable broadcasters and TW will have subscribers paying an arm and a leg for it not exactly worth it. Right now the company I work for price the package @ 14.95 and it isn't going to include on demand that's a separate subscription. Watch most company's do to encourage sales is they offer promotions for the ON DEMAND package (throw it into the deal) but for a short period of time.

• Members

Damn. I've been spoiled. I can't imagine paying for On Demand separately, since it's been included this whole time. When it's time for me to renew, I'm thinking I just won't. I agree one channel isn't worth $15.00. If it were the only way I could ever see their original shows, than yes, but since I can rent them eventually, I'll just wait.

• Members

When I think of it as $15 a month it doesn't seem that bad, but somehow when I think of it as $180 a year it seems outrageous. Kind of like a $4 latte doesn't seem that bad, but when I think of it as $80 a month or $960 a year, it's a lot easier to stay away from Starbucks.

Archived