HBO in ruin?

Sylph

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think True Blood is also very trashy. Meaning, people who watched The Sopranos are probably appalled looking at that big, fat ton of camp and excess. They must find it revolting, surely. Whether it's a good or a bad show, that's a different matter, but trashy it sure is.

• Members

The Sopranos became the worst kind of trash -- the kind that is taken seriously and takes itself seriously.

I haven't had HBO in years, because I don't have enough interest in their shows. I can just rent them on DVD, although I think HBO is also upset with Netflix now so that might change. If it does I just won't watch them at all. The last show I was interested in was Six Feet Under.

I miss the more fun, silly HBO, the kind that was not seen in as great a light. Stuff like Arli$$, or Tracey Takes On, or Autopsy, or their series on things like workplace rage and the death penalty and the mind of a killer -- a lot of their documentary shows were ahead of their time.

I also miss truly groundbreaking shows like Oz, not the pretentious, hollow stuff that came post-Sopranos.

• Members

Ew! Arli$$ was awful! icon8.gif

But yes, The Sopranos took itself way too seriously and that wasn't helped by an army of people wanting to be all clever and well-read liking it etc.

The Godfather too is one of the most overrated films in history. So, bad role model = bad end result.

Archived