Days: 45 years of days!

• Members

Though Julie was my favorite, I do think Susan Martin was more popular with the general audience. She was the nice girl, while Julie was the scheming vixen. I think that back then the nice girls were more popular than the bad ones. Denise Alexander, rather than SSH, always topped the reader's magazine polls when they were on at the same time.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish Denise went into more details about her work as Susan. I think most of what I remember her saying is just about how much Susan suffered.

I've always wanted to see Mary Frann's work on the show, as I have never seen a lot of her as a dramatic edge. Her sitcom work was often a bit sharp-edged. I also wanted to see the story she had when Amanda was dying of the illness which had killed her mother.

I guess Bill Bell did this story before Lorie's book on Y&R?

At the time that stories like Sharon Duval's bisexuality or the interracial romance were airing, did you notice them, or see them as controversial, or were they not all that interesting?

• Members

There are a few scenes of Mary Frann as Amanda on youtube from Doug & Julie's 1976 wedding. She was one of the bridesmaids & she & Greg were dating at this time.

The Susan/Eric story took place around 1973. I do believe Lori's book came a little later.

I did notice the Sharon Duvall & David/Valerie stories. I was still in high school and a bit sheltered (and of course there was no internet) so I didn't realize they were stopped because of the controversy. I loved David & Valerie and was disappointed when they broke up. In my imagination, they are together now (since we never see David anymore anyway). I wish a character would show up & be their child. I'm always looking for more Hortons & excuse for Julie being around, lol!

The thing I remember being most shocked about with Sharon's story was the fact that her husband also was interested in Julie, and I got the impression he wanted them to participate in a threesome. Sharon falling for Julie didn't phase me for some reason. Though I'm a straight female, I knew Julie was very sexy & sultry, so it seemed perfectly natural to me for someone to fall for her, regardless of their sex!!!! Also, I had liked the actress who played her, Sally Stark, when she was on Love of Life. Alejandro Rey played Sharon's husband & I had a big crush on him years previously when he was on The Flying Nun!

By the way, these are the links to the Doug/Julie wedding & reception. You can see Amanda, Greg, Susan (Bennye's version), Neil, Phyllis Anderson (who was married to Neil & pregnant at this time), David, Valerie, Linda Patterson, Bob Anderson, Mary Anderson, Robert LeClair, early Marlena, etc. Rebecca North (played by Brooke Bundy), who was the surrogate mother for Doug's son Dougie, is also one of the bridesmaids. Doug's first wife, Kim, is seen slinking into the church at the end of the ceremony. Little Hope was the flower girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-SFBN3fW2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tllzb1frrI&feature=related

• Members

Thanks for posting those! I always get Doug's wives confused. For a while I thought Lee was his wife, not his lookalike cousin's. Kim is the one who walked on his back?

It's too bad they don't ever try to bring back David or Scott, they just seem to invent new Hortons instead.

• Members

I'm not sure why they let Mallory go, unless it was because they didn't know what to do with him without Laura. Of course, Bill had become involved with Dr. Kate Winograd right before that.

I think John Clarke was involved in the storyline with Suzanne Rogers around this time where Maggie decided to become a surrogate mother. I know he received a Best Actor Emmy nomination around this time too so that may have helped. I'm glad he stayed around, too!

• Members

I guess they figured that Mickey and Bill were interchangeable in terms of age and position in the family/show. Neither actor was aging well so the decision was made to axe Bill. If he had stayed around I could see a Bill/Mickey/Maggie story developing. Maggie wanting to help Bill deal with Laura's incarceration- perhaps he starts drinking and Maggie, having been through that reaches out to Bill.Mickey being distracted by work, maybe a sexy new client/co-worker - perhaps Lee sets her sights on mickey etc-a whole pile of complications that would lead to Bill and Maggie having a one night stand that resulted in Maggie becoming pregnant.

With Mickey being sterile and Maggie desperately wanting a child she might lie and say she was raped in order to keep the child.

It would be a repeat of Bill/Laura/Mickey but with the right writing could provide years of soapy complications.

• Members

I agree, I think Ed Mallory was let go because male pulchritude had become very important on the soaps, and he was aging badly. Of course, he was never a hunk, but he was still part of an insanely popular romance and he placed very highly in soap mag voter polls. It's funny, DAYS had astonishingly beautiful women as part of its cast in the 70s -- SSH, Mary Frann, Deidre Hall, Suzanne Rogers, Patty Weaver, etc. -- but a lot of the men were quite ordinary looking. At least, by the standards of the 80s and beyond.

A friend and I still joke about the close-ups DAYS utilized in the 70s -- the women's faces would fill the whole screen and the camera would just linger on them. It was very effective in immersing the viewer in the psychological drama the show excelled at back then.

Archived