Y&R: Week of September 7-9

• Members

In honor of seeing Melody Thomas Scott on the frontburner (sort of), thought I would post this early 80s scene between Nikki and Lorie. Back when Bill Bell wrote frenemy-ships with depth and nuance instead of the SHARIN STOLE MAH HUZZBIND agenda we get today. Though I give props to whoever penned Ashley and Nikki's bittersweet scene last week in the sauna.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRCORlJpYZc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRCORlJpYZc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRCORlJpYZc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know which couple annoys me more: Lily & Cane or Billy & Victoria. Be warned -- Villy (or Vile as I like to call them) feature a lot in today's US episode.

Here's a way to get rid of Lame: Philip admits that Cane is really not some orphan he adopted but rather his gold-digging boytoy. Lily tearfully tells Cane that she "will be praying" for him and leaves town for Europe. Cane returns to Oz to battle the cattle mafia and become one of Kylie Minogue's backing dancers. Lily returns from Paris as Davetta Sherwood and tells Neil that there's an amnesiac supermodel working out there called Onyx who looks an awful lot like momma...

• Members

I don't care that much about Cane and Lily as I don't think they have damaged any characters, aside from Phillip.

Bacteria have damaged other characters and the show is increasingly desperate to hype them, probably because this is TPTB's way of saying "these are our characters and our show" since the whole thing is so contrived and has no basis in history. It's also a way to try to hide just how hollow and half-a$$ed all the stories are.

Meanwhile, Billy Miller and Amelia Heinle get worse and worse.

• Members

The blind ignorance of MAB & Co truly astounds me, Carl. I often felt that Bill Bell Sr wrote Y&R to please himself -- the stories would go where he wanted them to go. Unlike ABC, Bell strongly resisted focus groups. I admire more than ever his insistence on a single vision.

Unfortunately, I think MAB also puts together stories for her own amusement. OMG, wouldn't it be cool if we had two dopplegangers on the show at the same time? SO cool! Bell at least had Lee Philips, Wes Kenney, Kay Alden and others tell him honestly if they didn't think something was working, and while Bell may not have liked hearing it, he was always atuned to his audience's reaction. MAB appears to be surrounded by Yes men. And her flippant dismissal of fans' concerns in an interview a few months back indicates that she had NO instinct or interest in taking into account viewers' feelings. All she cares about is how she never stops laughing when she's hanging with Hoagie and Scott and Tom! Dude, writing Y&R is super fun!

And Billy Miller is just... beyond awful. The mugging, the chompers, the ad libs, the aching insincerity. My skin crawls whenever he is on. I can't believe I was ever a fan. And Heinle thinks she's being so method with him but, honestly, ho hasn't a clue what is going on or how to play the scenes.

• Members

LOL - sad but so true.

Another difference is that Lily/Cane are with their 5 episodes a months as annoying as Billy/Vctoria with the constant shoving down our throats. So they probably win this battle of suckitude after all... Cane, congratulations, you've been rewarded a one-way ticket to Malcolm's sandwich shoppe in Oz!

• Members

That reminds me of a great Phick wedding (I'm not kidding). Y&R's favorite "heroine" was blackmailing Brad, who then filed a complaint about it to the police. The GCPC showed up in the middle of her wedding to NECKKKK and arrested her in front of everybody and she spent her honeymoon night in jail. LOL! Not gonna lie, I was LMAO.

Don't be dissing the hair! It has outacted The Heinle in many a scene and now has its own agent. Eric Roberts is hoping to cast Hair in his next straight-to-video movie, The Creature from the Black Lagoon 2.

• Members

His career is that dead? His films aren't even released on DVD and still on VHS? Poor thing!

As you brought it up, Y&R could really have Phyllis arrested once more. It's always hilarious and at least interesting. Well untill one realizes that the GCPD isn't throwing away the keys for that cell.

• Members

Nobody more so than Mother Teresa herself. NECKKKK. DOOOOO SUMTHIN! YOOV GUT TA GIT ME OUTTA HERE!!! WHO'S GUNNA TUCK OWR BABY DOTTER SUMMURRRR IN AT NIGHT, HUH?! SHE'S GUNNA BE ALL ALOOOOOOOONE! I'M HER MOWMMMMEEEE! DO IT FER OWR DOTTER!!

:blush: I guess I showed my age -- I grew up with VHS. But yeah, I should have said straight-to-DVD but honestly, DVD is too classy for some of Eric's Z-list work.

Heck, Eric Roberts is too good an actor to be slumming it in Kari Wuhrer movies.

Archived