MTV Video Music Awards

Adam

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This show hasn't been relevant in years. I don't know why a network that barely shows music videos anymore has an award show devoted to them. :unsure:

Sad thing is, once upon a time, in the 80s to the mid-90s, this show used to be an event for young people, not so much anymore.

Good exposure for Florence and the Machine though.

• Members

LOL, yeah I felt it was lame. Hype Williams still has clout I guess.

VEVO/YouTube is the platform really where awards celebrating music videos should be hosted.... that's where I watch my videos now.

• Members

Really? My Facebook feed blows up like an atomic bomb when the VMAs air, and most of my friends are between the ages of 18 and 25.

There really is no need for a music video TV channel anymore, especially one targeted at teens and twentysomethings. YouTube's taken over the market completely, but MTV.com is still filled to the gills with music and music-related content. Most people young people wouldn't sit in front of the computer to watch an entire awards show, so airing them on MTV is perfect.

If MTV and Vevo joined together, there'd be assloads of cash to be made.

• Members

It seems like over the past 10 or so years, the only time people talk about it is if some crap like Taylor/Kanye happens or Britney's craptastic performance from 2006. There was a time music videos had more pop cultural impact or the actual performances at the award show itself, which really isn't the case anymore. I guess the music industry itself is partly to blame for that too.

Even before the advent of YoutTube and streaming videos online, MTV/VH1 gave up years ago. :lol:

• Members

Here is who I want to/think will win:

Best Collaboration:

Jay-Z & Alicia Keys - "Empire State of Mind"

Best Female Video:

Lady GaGa - "Bad Romance"

(I wouldn't mind California Girls winning, I love that damn song :lol: )

Best Male Video:

Drake - "Find Your Love"

Best Hip-Hop Video:

Eminem - "Not Afraid"

Best New Artist:

Ke$ha - "Tik Tok"

Best Pop Video:

Best Rock Video:

Paramore - "Ignorance"

Best Dance Music Video:

Video of the Year:

or

Eminem - "Not Afraid"

Best Art Direction:

30 Seconds to Mars - "Kings and Queens"

Best Choreography:

Lady GaGa ft. Beyonce Knowles - "Telephone"

Best Cinematography:

Eminem - "Not Afraid"

Best Direction:

Best Editing:

Rihanna - "Rude Boy"

Best SFX (Special Effects):

Green Day - "1st Century Breakdown"

Breakthrough Video:

Gorillaz ft. Bobby Womack & Mos Def - "Stylo"

• Members

When is the cutoff date for video eligiblity? I find it hard to believe that Eminem's just happens to be nominated when his crap came out not more then two or three months ago when I'm sure other male artist's had better video's. It would be nice if they didn't keep nominating so many rap/r & b videos.

Lady Gaga's videos are very interesting and are always talked about. They aren't very good but at least they illicit some sort of reaction. It's a step in the right direction.. I just wish they could go back to the way video's were made in the 80's and 90's.. where there was a storyline to the video (i.e. a mini movie musical).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived