AMC: Tuesday, August 3, 2010

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as I'm concerned, Debbi is (or at least should be) second in command on this show after Susan. She is going to carry the rest of this summer, and the show is in good hands with her on the front burner. Too bad OLTL couldn't get it right when they gave the show to Andrea in Erika's absence a couple of summers ago.

• Members

I haven't seen today's episode. But I was thinking this morning that Debbi's reel needs to show a range of emotions. If she submits these episodes where she's ONLY crying, she won't win. Of course, this is all contingent upon the script that she is given.

• Members

That is soooo not true. There's a gamut of emotions in a story like this beyond rage and fear. There's grief, hope, determination, joy, denial... That's what a good actor who has studied does. Find these moments in the material and makes choices. It can't always be about the story or the script. It has to be about the actor and their approach to the material. Anybody can scream, yell, blubber and cry. But it's that actor's particular choice to play a scene this way instead of that way. Finding a moment they feel calls for this type of nuance. It's knowing how to break the scene down and knowing how to play the right notes to hit the right emotional chords. But the minute an actor limits themselves to just two basic emotions, they might as well phone it in (Maurice Benard).

(crossing fingers) Please, oh, please, oh, pleeeeeease!!

• Members

I loved how Greenlee's voiceovers bookended the episode. It was a nice change of pace and I thought the contrast between her marriage to David with Jesse & Angie's was well done without hitting viewers over the head (thank you, Kate Hall and Angela Tessanari!). Greenlee & Angie's conversation in the park was the highlight of the episode, imo.

The only part that really bugged me was Ryan showing up at Greenlee's door to badger her. Even when his health faltered, he couldn't stop pushing her to open up to him. I've said it before but it can't be said enough, Ryan is only tolerable when he's with Madison!

Archived