Fave Soap Star Infomercial!

• Members

So I turned on the tv right now, and sw Kassie DePaiva on my screen-she was sitting with other ladies, and as soon as I turned up the sound I heard her say "Ladies, which of you have problems with your mustaches?!? Cuz I know I do!". :D :D Brilliant stuff--anyway it was for some little tiny tiny odd body hair shaver thing, for women, called the No No. Unfrotunately, that comment from Kassie seemed to be the highlight.

What are examples of people's fave soap star endorsed infomercials? I know theone I used to ALWAYS see-but haven't in maybe 6 months or a year, was Susan Lucci for that face sander thing--I believe Rebecca Buddig and a couple other AMC actresses made appearances. The actress who plays Annie also shows up in a ProActive acne cream one...I'm sure there mustbe some much more ridiculous examples I'm forgetting though...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Face sander", Susie would just *LOVE* you for that. :lol: We were talking about Kassie's infomercial in a couple of other threads, did you see that James DePaiva's in it too? He and Bobbie Eakes.

I have a feeling Carl is going to say Psychic Friends. :lol: Honestly, I think that's the first time I've ever seen soap stars do something "legit" ( :rolleyes:^_^ ) outside of their own soaps... save for Susan Lucci haircare. I always enjoy Susan and when channel surfing I've caught her on HSN a couple of times but I can't watch because I get so nervous! :lol: I always feel like someone calling in is going to throw her an inappropriate question and she is always so on and doesn't strike me as the type who'd handle that smoothly.

I liked Judith Light for Proactiv too.

ETA: Carl, I was too busy running my mouth and you beat me to the punch! :lol:

• Members

No "favorites" per se, but some obscure ones people may have forgotten:

-Linda Evans for this creepy facial muscle mask with electrodes

-Joan Van Ark for diet pills ( -_- )

-Morgan Fairchild for tooth whitening bleach

-Elaine Princi for a nifty mop

-Debbi Morgan appeared on the Edgar Morris black skincare informercial

• Members

Does James use it too? :P No I musta missed them...

I forgot about Judith on that.

Wasn't this one of the first examples of a soap star promoting something? :D

(And was this wine as utter crap as it looks? I'm a big wine guy, but no snob--my house wine is 10 bucks a bottle, but I was looking at later commercials for this wine--they had little bottles, and cans and show people eating tacos with them :D )

• Members

That infomercial, or the commercials for it that ran constantly on cable, was the first time I'd ever seen Brad Maule, as I got into GH probably last out of the ABC soaps. So for a while every time I saw Tony I remembered him sobbing with his psychic friend.

Eric I wonder if Susan's friends show that to her sometimes to humiliate her. The start especially is just :unsure: At least now I understand just how awful wine ads must have been at the time, and why they inspired the hilarious Harvey's Bristol Cream sketch on SNL, where Gilda Radner talked about the romance she would find thanks to this drink, and then she ends up yelling out the window and a homeless man slobbers over the booze and then climbs on top of her as the camera cuts away.

• Members

I think now most wine companies would find a major tv ad campaign beneath them (I do remember growing up with the sung theme of Domain D'or [sp?]), it just seems odd compared beer or Captain Morgan adds for some reason. Of course wine was just becoming really mainstream in N America in the 80s. (I had no idea Riunite Wine was still around, and claiming to be America's fave Italian wine--I've NEVER seen it here in Canada).

It does oddly though remind me of those campy ads for the Dynasty perfume. Not really sure why as it's not directly similar (I do suspect that both fragrances smelt as awful as that wine did...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hed5aRpxrE

• Members

Well, I remember their slogain from the '80's "Riunite on ice, Riunite so nice!"

They had the tiny bottles in 4-packs and the huge jugs of course. And all the bottles were screwcaps as I recall. Yeah, it was basically swill.

Who could forget the Dynasty perfume? Good times. Gooooood times.

• Members

Matt Walton is currently in Old Navy commercials.

ex-Ricky Garza, Eddie Matos, is currently in a slew of State Farm insurance commercials.

I have seen Daphne Duplaix (ex-Rachel, OLTL) in McDonald's in the past couple of months.

David Chisum has been in a number of commercials.

The actor who played John's dad on OLTL, Malachy Cleary, has been in a number of commercials, including Cottonelle toilet paper

and a prescription drug (can't think of the name).

• Members

Right Chisum is in one for Stomach pills or something (well they have an unhappy face on his shirt). Those Matt Walton Old Navy commercials drive me bonkers--so annoying with the little him. :P

Bree Williamson is in one of those "Windows 7 was MY idea" or whatever ads, where they have the brief fantasy segments where the person remembers thinking up the idea, and they show it with a prettier/handsomer actor in its place--she plays the prettier version of some woman. (did that make any sense?)

Alicia Minshew used to be in tampax commercials they showed during AMC a lot, before she was on, and I swear the actress who played Gloria was too.

• Members

The Dynasty fragrances are my all-time favourite. Just watching Krystal moon over Blue-Hair is priceless :lol:

Youthful Essence is Susan Lucci's face-sander one -- really just another way of saying "exfoliant" -- Eric Montreal referred to. It also had ER, RB (with a slightly different nose!), ELR and AM:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And here is Susan's Malibu Pilates one: "Hi. I'm Susan Lucci. And I'm about to share with you the secret that keeps me trimmed and toned and able to walk on a Malibu beach like this." So, basically, without Malibu Pilates, Susan would be hobbling around on a cane? :blink:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived