Y&R: Week of July 19, 2010

• Members

I just watched part of Y&R for the first time in months and had a few questions...

1. When did the cast of All My Children join?

2. When they showed the previews for tomorrow's episode, it appeared as though Vail Bloom has a twin on the show..who is that?

3. And they still haven't found a better wig for Stacy Hauiduk?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What gets me is that with all the history they've destroyed, what stories have they bothered to actually come up with? What will their legacy be? This is the show that thinks summer of romance means a mentally ill woman being molested by her OBGYN.

• Members

Well, I would say the whole clusterf*ck involving Lauren, Sheila Sarah, Ryder, Daisy, Kevin, Jana, Michael, etc. come closest, but that story was entirely too rushed (although, in retrospect, maybe not), and derivative of a half-dozen film noirs shown regularly on Turner Classic Movies. So, maybe Sabrina & David Chow? :unsure

There's a fine, fine line between drawing from history (to tell story) and merely rehashing it. Doug Marland was king at the former on ATWT and GL; Maria Arena Bell and her "Usual Gang of Idiots" at Y&R are dreadful at the latter.

• Members

This is so depressing. And the thing is, I LIKE Branson. ALOT. Just not as Nina's son! Of course, you all know my fantasy about Mick Cain being the perfect person to play Nina's son.. but alas, the story of the decade slipped through their fingers. I tell you, if anyone can sell it, Tricia can. And if she can't, it's UNSELLABLE. Now, I know you all are having coronaries about all the AMC alums on this show, and I don't mind them, EXCEPT for Reigel. But keep in mind that Bill Bell DID do the exact same thing in the early 80's, as Tracey Bregman, Don Diamont, Margaret Mason, and Patty Weaver ALL came from DOOL, Margaret came first in 1980, and Diamont last, in 1984. So it HAS happened in the past, just sayin.

• Members

True, but their style and approach to scenes, fostered on a DAYS that Bill Bell played an integral part in building, meshed so well w/ those already on Y&R. (Plus, it probably helped to have the same conglomerate, Columbia/Coca-Cola, owning both shows.) As Gary Tomlin once said (and I'm paraphrasing), DAYS was like Y&R on speed. The AMC refugees tend to come at the work from an entirely different angle -- which explains why, for example, although Peter Bergman has his fans, his Jack Abbott is unilaterally (sp?) different from Terry Lester's. (MTS: Okay actress, lousy casting director.)

• Members

Didn't Bell write for Mason and Weaver when they were on DAYS?

That's the big difference here. All of the people being hired have no experience with Y&R's writing style or what Y&R used to be. The show also has zero idea of what suits these new people. So you have people hired for their names who one after the other have flopped, because why the hell should Y&R fans get the vapors just because Stefan or Bianca or Lizzie Spaulding or Patch had some kind of a following?

The show's idea is basically who cares about creating characters, let's just hire anyone we can find who might bring in some attention. So everyone loses.

• Members

Yep.

It's never enough just to hire someone w/ name recognition and a built-in fanbase. You have to know why that actor appealed so much to so many. If you really knew, for example, what made Stephen Nichols' Steve "Patch" Johnson such a big draw on DAYS, then you'd never saddle him w/ know-nothing role like Tucker "No, Not Cash" McCall.

Archived