GH: July Discussion Thread

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. It's like "Hi! I'm a 40 year old actress, yet again, showing I have absolutely no growth as an actress and act like I'm stuck in high school."

I mean, seriously. How many times do we have to see her suck her teeth, shake her hair, stomp her feet and wiggle her neck to convey "tough Carly?"

Laura Wright is lucky that Brian Frons' penis goes erect for her, because otherwise, she would not have lasted in this role. I am no JFP lover, but knowing what I've learned about her production methods, this Laura Wright is NOT her kind of actress. The mugging, the eye rolling, the "cute" face she made behind Robin's back... Nah. Laura Wright is not a lead actress. Sorry for her fans, who will most likely think I'm crazy... but she simply is not!

• Members

I'm a casual viewer of the show, but what is the general assessment of Lulu? I know JMB has won two Emmys but I was curious what the fans feel. It sounds rude but I really can't get over her botoxed and surgeried face. She's much too young for that.

• Members

I think the general assessment of Lesley Lu is that she's a whiny, annoying, spineless shrew. LOL. Atleast to me she is. I can't believe I used to love this girl. Now I can't stand her. The way she acts like she's this saint. Always protecting Dante, and standing by his side over everyone else. She's become sickening, IMO. She, along with Dante, are on the show every single day, we never get a day without one or both of them being on. It's just tiring. They used to be cute and refreshing, but then GH started using them increasingly more and more and now it's just overkill.

All they do is have sex, talk about stuff, and have sex. Then Dante goes and does business. Repeat.

JMB is a good Actress when given the material, I just think most of the time she's just not that great.

I can see it now, Olivia will go to Jake's all depressed after seeing Johnny and Brook Lynn together, and her and Coleman will get more aquainted with each other ;-).

• Members

Laura Wright was a "casting coup" hire. It was a way to get a "name" actress into the role of Carly without having to worry about her leaving when her first contract cycle was up. And while I completely admit to preferring "Cassie Layne" over the Sarah Brown/Mariah Carey hybrid(who I always felt was just so lifeless), there is really no growth from her as an actress and her choices are often so jarring. Instead of making up where the writing is deficient, she continues playing everything the exact same way, arrogant, snarling, selfish, princess bitch.

And no need to worry. When Laura Wright gets older and less attractive, she will become completely irrelevant. I mean, she kind of already is. Guarantee of one day a week, no story. And like every other GH actress in the same position, she'll either get fat(Genie) or get a facelift that will completely wreck her visage(Jackie, Leslie).

Compare Carly's Dante/Lulu story with Claudia's Michael/Kristina story. They both want petty, childish revenge. But Sarah Brown at least interpreted the dialogue in a way that made you understand that while Claudia's motivations for wanting these two teenagers dead was quite petty, her actions were driven out of desperation and heartbreak. All Laura Wright can ever play with this story(or any other) is smug entitlement. "I am Carly and this is NOT FAIR!" When Carly cries, it's more like a temper tantrum instead of someone actually heartbroken over her son being "meat" in prison and these two people's actions causing that to happen.

ETA: I still keep thinking about the one scene recently where she tells Sonny that she wished Michael had been raised by the Quartermaines because even though she told Sonny that to hurt him, I believe at least from the way the scene was written that she was telling the truth at that moment. But instead of Laura playing those moments with multiple shades and beats, it was the typical, "I'M GONNA YELL THIS TO MAKE YOU ANGRY BECAUSE I AM ENTITLED STREETFIGHTAH!" :rolleyes:

• Members

GH has so many couple possibilities, it's overwhelming. I have been pairing up people in my head for the longest. And yet, the show has close to NO couples.

ETA: About Olivia/Steve...I don't know. I feel like Olivia would tower over Steve or something, and it just wouldn't work. I picture them together and I just don't see it. lol.

• Members

Nail, meet Head. :wub:

It surprises me that LW's interpretation is so one-note, Wright having been a major GH and Carly fan for years. And yet, it all boils down to her first SoapTalk interview as NuNuNuCarly, where she bragged about knowing she was perfect for the role. "I knew I was going to KICK ASS, TAKE NO PRISONERS," she said -- before going on to credit Kim Zimmer for helping to give her her "acting chops." Every scene Carly is in, I flash back to that interview. It's like it's playing in a loop in her head, too, as she tosses her mane back and trots through every scene KICKING ASS AND TAKING NO PRISONERS.

And that hiss/snarl she gave Robin yesterday was just... something out of Animal Kingdom. Every ounce of vulnerability, every feeling of rejection that Carly ever possessed was sucked away and replaced by a chimpanzee impression.

• Members

OMG!! YOU TOO!! This is just amazing. BC and you both are just basically sitting in my brain and picking and choosing all the thoughts I have about this horrid Laura Wright Character using the name "Carly," and posting them. I needn't say a word! :lol:

Okay, well except this: To your point about LW being a major GH/Carly fan and her surprisingly disappointing portrayal, it just goes back to what I've said before. She's not inhabiting the character of Carly. She's just doing an impression of Carly. She knows Carly well enough to know a couple of traits here and there and just uses them to give off the impression. Like when a friend of yours copies your walk or mannerisms and says a couple of your sayings, we all laugh because we know that's supposed to be you... but it's not really a true representation of you.

Archived