Daytime TV Reader's Poll Thread

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Steve had a comment here about Erika Slezak, Lynne Adams, Barbara Rodell, and Bibi Besch and he says a few others and their popularity on the poll at this time. All were recent recasts, some of popular characters, but it showed a willingness to give recasts a chance then. He states on the folder here too that it also showed how soaps were more about the character in this day thus why a woman would walk up to Eileen Fulton on the street and start hitting her with her purse as she was Lisa and not Eileen Fulton.

• Members

I think at the time executives were also more willing to take a risk on a recast. Now they just don't make the effort. They don't even wait to see if fans will accept a new actor.

The Laura/Iris parts on LIAMST were recast quite a bit weren't they?

I remember reading that Barbara Rodell was very popular as Leslie on GL.

• Members

Thought I would skip forward to some of the later polls of the magazine. Steve did not have many from this era that I know of anyway. I know he told me once that when he started buying the magazine back from Ebay that the later issues of the magazine were higher on Ebay. He said and has a note that he once owned every issue of the magazine from the 70's to the late 90's when the magazine ceased operations.

• Members

AW was apparently much more popular in this magazine than in the ratings at this time. Was this a Canadian magazine?

So the "Arrogant" is like their popularity poll?

That article on luscious lips is a bit embarrassing...although it's fun too.

• Members

I just looked in the front of the magazine Carl. All of them say it was out of New York.

The editor was Paul Denis who I am familiar with from Ebay myself as I have looked at some of his Hollywood and Primetime TV memorabilia that has been sold from his estate.

I've looked at other magazine polls too just to see what other shows were popular. It looks like for several years in the 80's the polls belonged to GH and OLTL with hardly any other shows placing people in the Top 10's.

I will post some of those eventually I guess.

• Members

I've never heard of this Pearl character.

I'm glad Tiffany was written out of GH before Luza took over. She's the type of character that he and JFP would love to demolish.

This was back in the days when soaps allowed themselves to have quirky, fun characters, before they started taking themselves so damn seriously and chasing millions of viewers away.

• Members

I never realized that David O'Brien was so popular back then. Whatever happened to him?

The first story to ever get me hooked on soaps was Adam/Nicole on EON, during the Stephanie Martin murder mystery. I LOVE seeing those faces again!

• Members

Quent according to Steve's records David O'Brien was popular enough to even almost get a spinoff of The Doctors based around his character and his love interest Carolee.

Steve has him listed as being sick during his last years on The Doctors. Last appearances in soaps on Another World and Loving. Dying in 1989; some rumors say of AIDS.

• Members

Always odd to see the days when Kathryn Hays had such long hair.

I love the comment saying that AW and Y&R are going down but Somerset is getting better -- Somerset was gone within the next year.

Interesting bit where someone says the magazine is biased against SFT, then-daytime's oldest soap. I guess that type of thing was common even at the time.

Archived