Daytime TV Reader's Poll Thread

• Members

Jerry Lacey was Simon Gilby on ATWT. I think he was involved with Lisa. He had a ward named Meredith who was involved with Tom. Somehow or other Simon and Meredith ended up together and left Oakdale. I think they were dumped when Irna Phillips returned.

Wynne Miller played Jessica Buchanan on Somerset.

Nancy Barrett was Kathy Ryker on The Doctors.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Steve has written on a folder the year end winners for a few years:

Best Actor/ Best Actress/ Best Show

1971: George Reinholt, Jacqueline Courtney, Another World

1972: Edward Mallory/Bill Hayes (tie), Denise Alexander, Days of Our Lives

1973: Edward Mallory, Denise Alexander, Days of Our Lives

1974: George Reinholt, Jacqueline Courtney, Another World

1975: Tom Hallick, Janice Lynde, Young & the Restless

1976: Bill Hayes, Susan Seaforth Hayes, Days of Our Lives

1977: Bill Hayes, Susan Seaforth Hayes, Days of Our Lives

He writes at the end that he could not remember the rest of the years, and could not find a list of them. He said that he also may be mixing up the year that Mallory and Hayes tied and it could have been 1973.

• Members

That's so funny, I wonder if in that spoiler-free age they hoped their votes would lead to some wonderful random day when their favorite star would pop up again. Of course these were the days of Rosemary Prinz being stalked like a Beatle and Eileen Fulton being clobbered in Lord & Taylor.

• Members

That's a good point, SFK. And in some cases it probably worked.

Gilbert, thanks for the extra information on Steve's magazines.

Paul Raven thanks for filling in some of the blanks. I wish I could have seen Jerry with Eileen Fulton. So what story did Irna give Eileen when she came back? Was it that awful hysterical pregnancy stuff?

What was this character like?

• Members

One other thing Steve has written down here is that Jacqueline Courtney was the first star to achieve 100 months in the Top Ten. Despite leaving AW once and then being fired, she only fell out of the top ten once and never out of the runner's up during the first 101 consecutive polls.

He said Denise Alexander was the 2nd star to achieve 100 issues in the poll.

Other stars who later did it were Bill Hayes, Susan Hayes, and Deidre Hall.

• Members

Irna returned early in 72 so the phantom pregnancy story was hers.

Don Hughes was involved with Lisa. He had grown close to her son Chuckie. When she believes she is pregnant,she goes to the hospital for an abortion as she doesn't want to appear to be trapping Don. She discovers from her doctor(played by Doug Marland) that she had an ovarian cyst. Rick Ryan,Jennifer's son,who wants to break up Bob & Jennifer,witnesses Lisa's ordeal and tells Jennifer that Lisa thinks Bob was the father of her child.

She wrote off Simon & Meredith and married Tom & Carol in July. She also introduced the character of Kim.

She killed off Paul Stewart.

Apparently,she initially got the ratings up but later in the year she was fired.

• Members

Re Jessica Buchanan

She was nightclub singer involved with Robert Delaney who was stuck with bitch wife India.

jasper delaney was murdered. She was a suspect but Robert was charged with the crime. He was cleared,Robert divorced India and Jessica was pregnant. She married Robert but was killed in a car accident on the way to Bay City,thus clearing the way for Robert to move to Another World an eligible widower who would fall for the charms of Iris Carrington.

• Members

Thanks Paul. I wish I could see some of this. I'd especially love to see India, as I was enthralled by Marie Wallace on Dark Shadows, and Schemering called her Somerset character a "fascinating demi-goddess."

All of this just reinforces how genius it was for Dan Curtis to have saved his DS stuff because there are a lot of soap actors I wouldn't even know of if not for that show.

• Members

I remember someone at WoST talking about India, sounded like a great character. Didn't Tina Sloan play some sort of cold bitch on Somerset or one of those NBC shows back in the '70s? When you all started talking about India I was thinking that was Tina. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Archived