The 64th Annual Tony Awards

Errol

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here I am! I'm watching! Actually, I'm still recovering from the Terror that Might Have Been (aka Kristin Chenowith's near-wardrobe malfunction).

Good God, but Catherine Zeta-Jones' performance STANK. Michael Douglas loved it, of course, but he was probably busy impregnating her again from across the auditorium.

• Members

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWz9lpxv3NM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWz9lpxv3NM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWz9lpxv3NM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

This year's production was pretty good; and some of Sean Hayes' comedic bits, such as coming out as "Annie" and "Spider-Man," were pretty funny, too. Nonetheless, the nostalgic part of me misses the Tony awards telecasts of my childhood more with each passing year. Back then (the '80's), the telecasts were much more streamlined and stripped down (compare clips of, say, the 1980 telecast to this year's and you'll see what I mean); and CBS did not include "special guests" like Mark Sanchez and Paula Abdul just to make the telecasts more appealing to mainstream/non-theatre-going audiences. The Tonys were just an opportunity for the real stars of the theatre community to get together and celebrate each other's work. Pure and simple.

• Members

That's why watch. Where else can I see Kristen Chenoweth, Sherie Rene Scott, and David Hyde Pierce all in the same place? I certainly do not watch to see a Hollywood actress trying to "belt" Send in the Clowns while twitching her head repeatedly. That was seriously awkward to watch.

• Members

To be fair, I did see a clip of her during what I assume was an actual performance from the show, and she seemed to do a much better job.

I know it might sound uppity and closed-minded, but I really don't like the way main-stream pop culture is intruding into Broadway. I know it's not a new trend, necessarily, but I would really like to see new musicals with original music nominated. It doesn't have to be completely original (what is, really?). The Addams Family seems like a really interesting show. But then, how can anything with Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth be less than incredible?

Archived