The 64th Annual Tony Awards

Errol

• Members

I think most theater aficionados (including Mark Sanchez, lol) feel the same way. These days, the shows receiving the lion's share of attention, publicity and praise are either "jukebox musicals," such as "Mamma Mia!;" or adaptations of successful works from other mediums, such as "The Lion King." Yeah, this stuff might be keeping theater houses open (for the most part), but how is this cultivating a new generation of Stephen Sondheims, Hal Princes, and George Abbotts? How will such trends keep Broadway, as intrinsic to the American way of life as soaps, alive for decades, even centuries to come? Of course, I can't speak for everyone who's ever lived outside the NYC area and wished to go to a Broadway show, but why would I want to go see something that I can see already on TV or DVD? That's why, to me, it's a miracle whenever a show such as "Rent" or "Spring Awakening" becomes successful. We can debate the artistic and/or aesthetic merits of such productions all you want, but at least some are finding a way to create wholly original works that strike a chord (no pun intended) with increasingly fickle audiences.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Jersey Boys" is considered a "jukebox musical" like "Mamma Mia!" since it contains primarily previously released music (in their case, the songs of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons). And yeah, people still go apeshit for it on Broadway.

• Members

You have never seen the Tonys ever? I acknowledge there is always a problem with it on opposite the NBA year after year, but it has always been one of the better awards shows plagued by the fact it celebrates a product probably 95% of the population cannot get to see (Broadway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKuaoculKDg

No other awards show affords the opportunity for such performances, decade after decade.

Oh and here is a Golden Girl showing her theater roots at The Tonys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtOrS9d9afk

• Members

The "42nd Street" performance with Jerry Orbach was phenomenal.

Here are three of my favorites from Tony awards past. First, Walter Bobbie (ex-Wally, LOVING) performs as "Nicely-Nicely Johnson" with the rest of the ensemble for the legendary 1992 revival of "Guys and Dolls."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIO3w_o6CA

Next, the great Patti LuPone takes on one of Ethel Merman's most memorable roles, "Reno Sweeney," in the 1985 revival of Cole Porter's "Anything Goes."

Finally...actually, this one needs no introduction.

Finally...actually, this one needs no introduction.

• Members

I'm not a big Broadway person, but I do make it a point to watch the Tonys every year because I do like the stage; I'm just not real big on it. Of course, I've seen so few plays and musicals and can only associate titles with songs and some stars, so that's why I haven't found *the* show that makes me a fan of the whole genre.

But anyway, I only caught the first hour or so of the show, and jeez. It was the Tonys trying to be the Oscars trying to be the Grammys, and it was just baaaad. I don't get it. Those four lunkheads from Million Dollar Quartet were horrendous, and people pay to see that? And I don't get the appeal of Chenoweth at all. She can sing, but she can't act without the whole "This is MEEEEE!!!! I am ACTIIIIIING!!!!" thing going on.

Eh, this year's show as just not for me at all. A few years ago, there were Tony Awards shows that had me up all night on Wikipedia, but this one left me feeling blah.

• Members

Exactly. Thank you. Not even OLTL's Viki and Jessica have such a crippling identity crisis.

Yeah, they do. Unfortunately.

I feel like KC is the typical star who has allowed her fame to go to her head. I still remember how fresh and funny and unaffected she was back in 2000, when she won for "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." Before she performed "My New Philosophy" on the telecast, no one outside of NYC knew who she was. After that, though, everyone did; and as they say, it all went downhill from there.

Archived