Happy Endings: Discussion Thread

• Members

The problem with Happy Endings, and other modern day comedies are that they are too niche. If this show were on cable, it would be a success (Cougar Town seems to have done very well thus far on TBS).

Demos are nice, but I think networks should be focusing on viewers as well and should be offering sitcoms that appeal to a larger segment of the population.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

"The Marry Prankster" was so good! Definitely one of the best episodes so far. Loved the Alex-couch-falling-on-table prank and the Dave thinking he killed Max in the limo-explosion - they were so ridiculous! :lol: Then as Penny/Pete get engaged, it stars raining popcorn which I thought was kinda romantic. LOL But the best was the ending when we found out Alex "Keyser Söze'd" everyone. Knowing Alex, you would've never thought of that. :lol:

• Members

LOL I forgot to come here until I saw this Toups. I know! Alex cracked me up so much and it definitely made me think of the Scary Movie and Doofy and how lame he was that people didn't even think about him as being the killer until Cindy got it in the final moments of the movie -- and she even walked like him as well until all you noticed was that he was faking it the entire time.

Also, I could not stop laughing at the ep. when Brad was the CFO - Chief Fun Officer and LMAO when they were in the ball pit and the guy asked Brad to search for diapers.

• Administrator

And when he was introduced as the CFO, he swings on a rope, and jumps in the ball pit. DWJr is so good at physical comedy too. Like in "Our Best Friend's Wedding" where he (and Max) run away from the gay guys, the way he ran away was funny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think if they can stay above a 1.0 in Adult 18-49 demo they will get renewed, even if it is an abbreviated season. Would love if it could go to TBS like Cougar Town, just started watching reruns of that show on TBS and have fallen in love with it.

• Administrator

I think it's 51/49 for cancellation. :( There's still along way to go before it hits the 88 episode mark for syndication, so Sony might not fight as hard for it. If they end the season with 22 episodes, they would only be at the 56 episode mark, so they would still need another season and a half.

The thing about Cougar Town is Warner Bros owns them and TBS - Sony doesn't own a TV network where they save shows that they produce.

I am hoping that if ABC doesn't want the show back, FOX will want it and pair it up with New Girl since both shows are similar, so I think the retention will be good.

• Members

I think you're right Toups. While Sony has sold it's show's super cheap to get renewals for shows on the chopping block, all were only a season away from syndication. ABC is essentially buring off the episodes to get rid of it. But surprises happen.

Just saw ABC's moving it to Friday's. That's usually a sure sign it's dead.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/abc-pulls-tuesday-comedy-block-ahead-of-schedule-happy-endings-moves-to-friday/

• Members

but the thing is ABC is invested in making a friday night comedy block, and they want happy endings to stick around. if it can do decent and hold what it has there then i think the odds are in its favor.

i still say abc messed up both HE and Revenge by removing them from that solid wed night block. Both shows needed another season to establish themselves.

• Members

I kept hearing people say the timeslot change, especially with an unpopular sitcom (23), was a big mistake. This may be ABC agreeing with them. Anyway, I am not a fan, but kudos to ABC for making the effort. I'd rather see this on the air than those retreads with Reba (they aren't even trying with her show) and Tim Allen.

• Members

I dont think HE moving to Fridays is the kiss of death.. Both Tim Allen and Reba's shows (i happen to like her show, by the way) have done decently well on Friday so it could be ABC seeing potential and giving it one last shot.

However, I question the wisdom of this because HE seems to skew more toward the twenty and thirty something single crowd, which is a demo that isnt available on Friday nights (hence why Ugly Betty ended up being canceled when that show moved to Friday).

Archived